Thursday, August 28, 2008

Premenstrual Syndrome

Last night it hit. I hate that. It depresses me just knowing that it’s gotten a hold of me and won’t let me go and demands to run its course. It’s like giving birth, but the bad part of giving birth, where the labor gets so intense that you feel that you no longer have any control over your own reactions to your own body, and you don’t want to go through it any more. I hate PMS. I hate what it does to my already unstable feminine emotions and trippy temper. I once heard or read somewhere that they wanted to call it Mad Cow Disease, but the title was already taken. I hate to holler defeat when it comes to women and our nobility, but those few days of Probable Mental Sickness where I am an absolute Poor Mother Showcase grant me a big fat loser award each month. My thoughts are awful and negative, and nothing can possibly go right, I get the greens where everyone is better than me and I have nothing at all going for me… not even a silly undergraduate degree – I mean, come on (Possible Meltdown Starting), everyone out there has one of those; they come in the paper towel aisle in WalMart, right? Please Make me Stop! I can’t help it though, I am Pissed, Moody, Sarcastic and a disgrace to myself and womanhood in general. Please tell me you all go through this and hate it and wish that at some point in time a man could suffer through it as well so he could truly understand and then maybe even make it disappear. All right, that’s enough, I need to Pause, Meditate and just Stop.

10 comments:

Jodie said...

Um, pretty much I loved this post for a number of reasons. Mainly, though, because yesterday was such a crappy day for me and I felt like there is no way I can be a mother of 2. Clark was in freak-out mode and pushed me past my limits. So I really appreciate posts like this to remind me that everyone has crap days--whether hormonally induced or not. And it helps me to remember that tomorrow will be a better day...for the both of us! Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm also having a wierd couple of days. I think you should definitely work "Psycho Mom" somewhere in your definitions! That's me!

Anne Marie said...

Love all the P.M.S. abbreviations! I decided this last month that I should build some sort of cave to hibernate in when it's getting to be that time of the month. My PMS is so much worse now than when we were first married. You are definitely not alone! I yell at the kids, get my feelings hurt, cry, feel lousy...yeah, it totally stinks!

Shawny said...

Nope, NEVER happens to me! I hope you can tell that was dripping with sarcasm. There are so many grea things about being a woman, that, however, not being one of them. :)

Laura said...

Wow, that little reminder makes me want to breastfeed Ashlyn 'til she's five! P-retty M-uch a S-eriously funny post!

Mamabug said...

What you described as PMS - is how I feel when I don't get enough sleep. Yesterday was one of those days (ok I haven't gotten enough sleep for over a year but yesterday was especially yucky night with baby & kids waking up) - I was so mad I wanted to hurt my 3 year old who was whining all day & currently yelling at me because I made her oatmeal wrong.
Luckily somewhere in my mind kicked in and I picked her up, put her on her bed and then I went and laid down on my bed. We both fell asleep. I slept for 2 hours (so did she), no dinner ready so Mein Man made cookies for dinner instead. They were tasty and then I started to feel human again.
Since I have 4 girls - I try really hard not to think about 10 years from now when we will all be PMS together. Happy times - don't you think?

Jennifer said...

I used to think I was one of those strange ones who had escaped the three little letters PMS and then I started to notice a pattern to my freaking out and had to sheepishly move over to the side of those who had it. And now I just embrace it :)

Hang in there :)

Carla said...

OH MY HECK ME TOO!!!! Mine just came back from nursing and I almost blogged about it too!! It's horrible!!! And men think it's an excuse to get away with anything; or they complain that it's rough on them too, pahah! I used to resent women that used it as permission to be horrible, still do, but truly it does make it impossible to be anything else! Especially when the hormone-induced sleep deprivation kicks in.

Jeanette said...

You're a great writer. I love your blogs. Thanks again for your humor and honesty. I totally feel the same way you do about PMS. I'm Kylie's friend, Hi!

Anonymous said...

You have summed it up very well. That feeling of having a chemical imbalance once a month is so frustrating! Everyone is entitled to their feelings, both good and bad, so don't beat yourself up for being human.

**Oh, I believe men have a "period", but theirs is tri-monthly. (ha ha ha)

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...