Friday, June 13, 2008

Sign of the Jayhawk

I should have known.

Our two boys, Mr. T and Little E were born while we were at KU, and so have been raised knowing that they are Jayhawks. A few weeks ago, Mr. T started getting really obsessed with this fact. Wanting the Jayhawk sheets on his bed, talking and asking about Jayhawks, wanting to get one for a pet, and then doing this silly thing with his hands that he called “the Jayhawk.”

So I guess I shouldn’t have been too shocked when he came down last Saturday, which was haircut day for everyone, and showed me his new do. Not a Mohawk, but a Jayhawk. He had cut the hair down to his scalp (you may recall he did this before right in time for our family picture) all the way down the middle. It was appalling. The only thing more so, was that he liked it and wanted to keep it that way. There was only one cure: shaving his head. He cried and cried when we wouldn’t let him leave his hair that way, and even with pressure from Mr. Man's sister (who was visiting with us for a fun week), we just couldn’t let him do it. He was so sad to be “bald” certain that “nobody will know that it’s me”.



He looks as handsome as ever, though I’m thinking of getting him a Jayhawk hat for the future!

12 comments:

singin'mama said...

Oh come on Mom! Don't be such a fuddy duddy! Jayhawk is hip and cool. Whatever happened to free expression? Oh well... I thought I'd try to stick up for the cool little dude. So funny!

libbie said...

Oh My! That is so funny. You have to give him some credit though, cause he did shave it in a really good straight line down the middle of his head!

Anne Marie said...

This is absolutely hilarious!!! I love the "jayhawk". Looks like a perfect summer do.

Unknown said...

Thats pretty funny. I can't believe he did that himself, too! That's talent!

You can just remind him that he matches his Uncle Andrew now with a buzz cut. It's perfect for the summer!

Jenn said...

I know if I laugh I'll be rewarded by Karma...but I had to chuckle a little when I saw this. I'm so glad you remembered to capture the moment before you "fixed" it.

Jodie said...

*hand over mouth to suppress laughter*

That's a boy for ya! Too funny.

Camie said...

Oh no!! This is so sad! I guess it was time for his summer buzz anyway!

Stephanie said...

That's awesome. Brayden is dying for me to shave his head, he likes it super short for the summer. Maybe I'll have him shave off as much as he can on his own and he can feel a little more ownership on his new do. Your little guy has inspired me, just like you do on so many occasions!

Hoosier Mama said...

It's all coming together now... his reaction to my compliment in church about his hair was so funny. I wish you could have witnessed it! Go JayHawks!

Jennifer said...

OH MY !! How creative.

We have yet to have a "hair incident" at our house.....knock on wood.

I must "ditto" what others said he sure did a great job!!

Shawny said...

Oh he is darling! This is too precious!

Amy said...

Love all the quotes you have about angles. put things in perspective quite nicely.

I cannot believe the hair cut. That is way worse than Cambria's self hair cut with one exception. At tleast you CAN shave the whole thing to fix it and it still looks cute! Wow, he is a die hard fan!
Go Jayhawks!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...