Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Bathroom Meditations

I have a sign that hangs in my downstairs bathroom that reads: "Make time for the quiet moments as God whispers and the world is loud". Ironically it is often only in the bathroom that I have any quiet moments whatsoever. This morning, in a brief moment of solitude as I was, well, relieving myself, I pulled out one of the little books that occupy the back of the toilet. The book I picked was given to me from one of my heroes, it is entitled "Meditations for Parents Who Do Too Much" by Jonathon and Wendy Lazear. I turned to today's date, and it felt quite fitting after Mr. Man and I have been conversing on the topic of angels recently and my desire to be one:

Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose. -Dan McKinnon

Being a parent does not make us angels. We don't have wings or a halo because we do too much. Doing too much is more reckless than selfless.

When we are overcommitted, we may tend to think of ourselves as larger than life, capable of everything and anything. But perfection is not the same as courage. Trying too hard and too much and too long is a trap, a noose around our necks. Suddenly, we are bound by our need for perfection. We can no longer forgive ourselves, or allow ourselves to rest.

If we are really interested in flights of mercy, we must begin with ourselves. By alloweing ourselves the freedom to make mistakes, to come to the end of the line and begin again - this is how we earn our wings.

Mistakes are opportunities. Today I will learn from my mistakes and go forward without self-punishment.

Just some thoughts.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

I'm all for the freedom to be imperfect...its a lot more fun.

Anne Marie said...

Sounds like a great book. Wish the bathroom was a place to escape for me. I normally have two toddlers either banging on the door or pulling on the roll of toilet paper. One day.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...