Friday, December 28, 2007

Code Yellow

My heart is still in my throat as I recall this recent event in our life. Like all thrifty Moms, we made a trip to the mall to catch some of the sales on the 27th. Grandma and Grandpa and Auntie are visiting and wanted to let the kids choose their Christmas treasures (like they need anything else at this point!) and I picked up a few treasures myself. For one of the first mall shopping experiences of my life, the kids were outnumbered by adults and, this being the case, I wasn’t as mindful of my children as I should be. We hit Target first, of course, and as we were exiting Target and entering the mall, that’s when we realized we were missing one of our children. Little E wasn’t with us. I was certain he was just lagging behind and so I waited nonchalantly with everyone in the mall while Mr. Man headed back into Target to fetch the tardy traveler. A few moments later he returned and gave me a look, and in that instant I knew. Our son was missing. Immediately my mind went blank as I tried to recall what clothing we had placed over top of our short-laden boy just minutes before we left home. I was frantically trying to think of where I was certain he had last been with us. My head ached as I pondered over whether he would know to go to one of the red-vested workers and if so, would they understand what he was saying when he told them his name. My heart was heavy and tears sprang as I ran frantically through the store pushing my stroller and shoving my way telling everyone I could that I was looking for my red-haired boy wearing a blue shirt and army pants, hollering his name and heading for the “balls” at the entrance of the store that I know he loves to play on. I was certain he would be there. When he wasn’t I got really worried and with my voice cracking I approached a cashier for assistance. Mr. Man had beat me to it, and a code yellow had already been issued. It seemed that every single worker in that store, God bless them, had left their station to help look for my son. The minutes ticked by and yet time stood still as my precious boy was still missing. Finally I was waved down and told that he had been found… someone had spotted a little boy with a lightsaber (why had I NOT remembered THAT important tidbit) wandering around near the milk department. Apparently he had just walked off and wasn’t even worried in the least, he was exploring. Even in explaining to him what had happened, he was fearless and fine. Eventually he told us that he had lost us and so just kept walking and walking trying to find us. Needless to say, we have had some constant mini safety lessons since then. Mr. Man and I have both decided to keep a picture of our children with their sizes on us at all times, and to pay better attention to what they are wearing each day when we (or they) leave the house. More importantly, I am grateful for our daily family prayers and for the Lord’s watchful eye when I could no longer see my Little E.

11 comments:

Kendra said...

scary. glad all is okay. i'll bet you had him in tight grips tonight at Oliver!

Nicole said...

How scary! I can only imagine what that must have been like. I am glad that you found him safe. That is a good idea to carry pictures in your purse...I will have to do that. Thanks!

Shauna said...

Such Scary times. My heart would drop. My heart dropped reading it. :) I am glad everything turned out alright and you found the little guy.

Lydia said...

Yikes! It reminds me of the time you gathered all of our neighbors to help me look for Levi that time. So scary. Glad he is safe.

Shawny said...

Absolutely the worst feeling ever. Those scares definitely put things back into perspective!

Kristy said...

Isn't that just the scariest thing? I'm sorry to say that, with my ADHD boys, this has happened at least once to each of them (and me).

Anne Marie said...

Very scary! So glad you found him okay. Those moments he was lost must have felt like an eternity.

Amy said...

So scary! I am so glad that you found him. My heart was pounding too.

Rachel Clare said...

Just READING this post made my throat tighten and my pulse race!! I'm glad he was found safe and sound!

Rachel said...

Oh I am so sorry Renee! A good reminder to us all! Happy New Year!

Laurie said...

I lost my little 3 year old in Target a few weeks ago. Only she was mad at me for not buying her something and went and hit in the clothes racks. I couldn't find her anywhere. I went to the front desk, sent the other kids looking for her with instructions to stay together. They called a code yellow and everyone started looking for her. A few minutes later they found her in the center of one of the clothing racks . She wasn't ready to be found and was still mad at me. She wouldn't come out and started screaming when I picked her up and made her come with me. I felt like I was trying to steal my own kid. It was awful. We left immediately and I have not taken her back to that store with me since. Details are hard to remember in times of stress. I told the Target people all the wrong colors but I did know that she had on a frilly play dress that day. I'm glad that your son was found and all turned out okay! It's crazy to think about what can happen when we let our guards down for just a moment. Being the parent is a full time job. Hang in there. It happens to the best of us!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...