Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Sad Song

Britney Spears has been on my mind lately. Is it any wonder with all the media propaganda that is being spit out about her? Typically I’m not one to be at all interested in pop media or stars in the news, but her story is starting to hit home. No I’ve never shaved my head, gotten a tattoo or flashed a camera… but I think I may have felt some of what is inspiring her acting out. I’m curious why the media, or at least the media I’ve been hearing, hasn’t hit on the topic of postpartum depression in relation to Britney Spears. Is nobody worried about this poor girl and her role as a mother to those two innocent babies? I’ve experienced severe postpartum depression, I’ve locked myself in my bathroom for hours on end, sitting on the floor thinking about how pathetic I was that I couldn’t even think of a decent way to end my life. I offered my husband a new life and permission to leave me, but he stuck with me and supported me more than my actions and words permitted me to deserve. How Britney manages with her husband gone and yet another child, I have no idea. If there had been a camera shoved up my nose throughout my postpartum depression, they would have seen me blowing up at every little thing, sleeping and crying and begging my baby to no longer exist. I can’t imagine the headlines when I packed up my backpack with random items such as piano music and my husband’s passport and drove off around our small island, looking for an escape. I hope that Britney Spears will find the help she needs and every suffering mother deserves. I hope that the media won’t influence her decisions and that she will be strong enough to determine her future and her children’s future. I admit that my thoughts and my diagnosis may be as unfounded as some of the comments and headlines you are reading in the checkout stand… but this is my blog, and so allow me my pop star moment.

3 comments:

LollyGirl said...

and LOOK what an incredible mom you are!!!

you are so right--I didn't even think about postpartum!!

thank you for sharing/reminding. you were so brave through all that.

it's so important for people to be aware of this and how it manifests itself both for their own good and others. it's real and happens to normal people who are incredible moms.

Anne Marie said...

It's so fantastic that you're willing to share some of your story. You are an incredible woman for getting through those terrible times. Everyone needs to be aware of this issue.

Rachel said...

I suffered postpartum after my last baby like I never had before...it was very isolating and scary at times...thank you for sharing and bringing up a very important and often neglected topic!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...