Saturday, October 28, 2006

On the Verge of Hating Halloween

Finding the right balance of traditions and fun family moments is always an adventure for me. I grew up in a family that was nowhere near lacking in the tradition department, and my husband keeps trying to remember if he grew up with one... he thinks his family’s tradition was to not have any. So from the plethora of options I have in my childhood memory, plus those I grew up wishing for and those that just have come about and been created in our little family – the balancing issue is explained.

I love fall, truly I do. Canadian Thanksgiving comes at that prime time of pure autumn celebration... and then we close into the heartbreaker. Halloween; the evil festivity that celebrates costumes, carving, candy and cavities. Chilling, really. Pumpkin carving is one of the icky, ucky traditions that has found its way into my family, actually at my prodding... and yet, I HATE it! I’ve turned the duty over to Mr. Man, and he has made the rule that EVERYONE MUST put their hand in the pumpkin and pull out a bunch of pumpkin brains and guts! Typically we all co-operate against our will as Mr. Man holds us down and forces us to comply with this wonderful family tradition! This year I would have nothing to do with it, and even the kids were beyond grossed out! Mr. Man again started his annual hold and was forcing their arms into the orange skull when he had an epiphany – surgical gloves!


Ironic actually, and after you view “The Life and Death of a Pumpkin” you will more than agree with me. So armed with surgical gloves, the competition was on to see who could remove the most of the pumpkin’s insides – I watched from the sidelines truly in awe of this horrific act and, ultimately, family tradition. So, what do you do to celebrate Halloween?

4 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Well, maybe you're starting a new Halloween tradition, mommy on the sidelines and kids with gloves. My boys LOVE the guts inside. Me, well if there's someone else to do the job, I won't step in.

Lori said...

We always go to the pumpkin patch for sure but haven't carved one in a while. Maybe we'll have to brave the pumpkin guts.

Michelle said...

to quote linus in the great pumpkin (as lucy starts carving away), "aw, you didn't tell me you were going to kill it!" i feel the same way as you, renee, let your kids & husband be tried for pumpkin murder :)

Anonymous said...

I think there is a little confusion: its not pumpkin brains getting pulled out but pumpkin offerspring and umbillacords!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...