Thursday, March 17, 2011

Not Easy Being Green

I've been a little bit green lately. I hate feeling envious or jealous, but sometimes another woman's cute jeans, amazing haircut, or clean car just shout out at me, and stare me down to the point that I feel, well, green. It's not very often. I think it may have to do with the fact that we are going on way too many months of snow here... and so anything else is looking better.

At any rate, I've been trying to get some ideas for decorating our master bedroom. I am NOT a decorator and have not a matchy decor bone in my body. So I've been browsing catalogs, blogs, etc. for basically step-by-step ideas to follow. This, of course, has led me to be more confused than ever, and also quite, ahem, green.

My home will never look like those magazines and superb decorators. And really I don't want it to. I want my home to be simply beautiful and to be wholly lived in. This evening I went around my home snapping quick pictures of the things I love most. I didn't tidy up before hand, and I didn't really think things through... but wanted to capture what and how I love my home. It helped me get rid of the greens and realize how lucky I am. Today I'll share three: 1) I love this little nook of my home. (Yes I still need to paint the vents behind the same color as the wall, and the books are really overflowing there...) When we moved into our home, the walls and rooms were so much bigger than anywhere we'd lived before, and we knew we needed some bigger artwork. Being cheap, Mr. Man and I utilized what we had and I found a simple tutorial to turn some posters we had (The Constitution, and the Declaration of Independence) into mounted art. I invisioned a console table there from the start, and, after explaining to Mr. Man WHAT exactly a console table was... I showed him a Pottery Barn version I adored and he went ahead and made it for me. I love it so much, and love having a special place for all our library books. The antique typewriter is meaningful to me in so many ways, and was a beloved Christmas present from Mr. Man (picked out by me!) The small chest is where I typically have a plant given to me by a wonderful friend, but I'm working on trying not to completely kill it right now and it needed more light... so this is its replacement for the time being. There are usually lego and star wars guys all over this table and typewriter... and to me, this is beautiful and meaningful.
2) This clock was Mr. Man's grandmother's clock. It is the heartbeat of our home. I love that it hangs in our front room, but that it is also visible from the family room when I sit in my favourite spot on the couch. I love the red that we have used as a paint color probably too often, but the children love that we always have either a red wall or a red room... and I hope they'll remember that forever. After multiple attempts and curtain returns, I finally found the ones I love for this room. And so this is another corner of my home that simply feels like home.
3) My porch swing. This was my birthday gift last year. Also made by the talented Mr. Man. We have run out and watched many sun sets on this porch, and hundreds of books have been read on this swing. Sitting and watching my children play or return from school feels so complete when I'm on this special swing.

So there you go... I've definitely found today that counting your many blessings can help get rid of the greens, blues, or reds of your many coloured days.

3 comments:

Steve and Donna said...

I love porch swings- it's good to appreciate the little things :)

Jenny said...

You have a beautiful home. When we left your house that one time we took a picture of your amazing front door. So I have an "envy" picture of your door in my picasa albums and it makes me smile everytime I see it. Where did you get your curtains? Love the design in the fabric.

Brooke said...

WOW! Now I'm green!!! I can't believe your man made those things!!! especially the swing!!! Can I tell you how jealous I am right now here in the Desert!?!?! barely a porch to be had!! I LOVE the dec of independance and the constitution! I TOTALLY want to copy that! Please share how and where you got everything!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...