Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Edited Bad Day

Yesterday I wrote a long post about my terrible, horrible, no good, very bad Monday. And I didn't quite finish it. And today it doesn't seem so bad. In fact, I can see all the good things in that day. Like the huge blessing of good friends who quite simply and quickly come to your rescue. The fact that Mr. Man knows how to fix our one vehicle, which has to be trustworthy since it is our main mode of transportation. I'm grateful for our bikes and also how bike-friendly this town is. I am seriously grateful for kleenex and warm soup and also my bed so I can sleep this sickness away. And I'm grateful for my imagination.

Remember years ago when we spent the whole summer living in a big city in a little hotel? It was a hard time, given Mr. T's health, and we were confined to that small hotel room for way too long. I made up story after story about how we lived in a castle and were trapped and waiting for a knight in shining armor to rescue us (Mr. Man to come home from work). Imagination can save the day. On Monday, when the Toddler and I had to take the bus, I used that imagination to create a great adventure for us. He was not impressed.

First he was upset over WHICH bus we were riding. Apparently all buses are not created equal, even though they look identical. Then he complained continuously about the safety of the ride: "I have a big huge window and no seat belt, this is not safe!" The stranger danger drove him batty: "Who's that guy? I not know him. Where he going?" And the length of the ride (what would have been a 10 minute car ride, but a good half hour bus ride) infuriated him: "I just want to go home! Can this bus take me home yet?" He kept me chuckling, and I saw streets and shops I didn't know existed in our town, and also thought of how lucky I am to have a vehicle that takes me so quickly from point A to point B.

It really was a bad day. But even bad days end and can sometimes make us laugh later. And sometimes they help us appreciate the good days even more. Maybe that's the main point.

1 comment:

MOM said...

You have a good attitude!! Your little guy's comments on the bus made me chuckle!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...