Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Shepherds Pie

I am not a very picky eater, but I have always detested shepherds pie. As a child I would try to separate the potatoes from the veggies and the meat to make it into a more picturesque meal. Years ago Mr. Man asked why I never made his most favorite of all dishes: shepherds pie. I told him that would be one meal never served in my home, since to me, it's like what a regular meal looks like all chewed up in your stomach. Disgusting. I just can't handle it all mixed up like that.

So last week, in the midst of all my to-dos, I was also attempting to be a good wife. And so I looked up a recipe for shepherds pie on the internet. And, for the first time in my almost 11 years of wife-hood, I made my husband's favourite meal. And boy was it a hit. Every last person loved and inhaled this meal. I managed to swallow it as well. And it was okay; delicious according to everyone else.

And so I've been thinking about that mushed up contortion and comparing it to my life lately. The life I feel like is a little bit hard for me to get a handle on and balance quite right. Often my roles, jobs and duties are getting squished and ending up in the wrong compartments. I'm trying to study while still spending quality time with the kids...etc. And I'm hoping that even though things appear jumbled and are perhaps rubbing off on each other, my life can still be delicious. And most likely it is, it's just that I'm not used to liking shepherds pie... but I can see how it could grow on me. I'm so blessed that my life has all the right ingredients to be delicious.

3 comments:

LORI GEORGE said...

interesting analogy! I have to tell you I've been considering my own post about shepherd's pie and how I LOVE it so much. The trick is to use tender shredded roast that has been hanging out in the crock-pot all day in yummy seasoning, instead of ground beef. It is delicious and a definite favorite around here.
As far as what you're really talking about, which is your life and finding balance, I know what you mean. Sometimes, I just have to pray at that moment in time, "what now?", meaning with all that I'm doing and supposed to be doing and want to be doing, guide me and help me know what to do right now. I heard someone say once, if it's a priority, it will get done. sorry for such long comment - just something I think we all struggle with at times.

Unknown said...

Hmmmm....Andrew hates shepherd's pie too! Must be in the family. It's one of my favourites! I make it every so often and allow Andrew to drown it in Ketchup. I've come across a great new recipe too and he enjoyed it last time. I'll have to try yours next!

Sending my love. <3

Brooke said...

Amen to all of that sister! ;) Except I LIKE shepards pie and everyone else HATES it!! :) I'm sorry for the down time. :( I think I know how you feel. It would be fun to meet up sometime :)

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...