Thursday, January 15, 2009

Odds and Ends

I love natural consequences. It is so fabulously delicious when it works out and one simply falls into my amateur parenting hands. We had one such instance the other night when all the stars aligned and Mr. Man and I were just gleeful at how perfect the natural consequence was. Miss J had stayed up WAY past her bedtime and was sassy about it too. Mr. Man told her that she would have to go to bed early in order to make up the same amount of sleep that she had missed. So she not only had to go to bed uncharacteristically early, but, like I said, the natural consequence was lovely in that it was the night that her beloved “American Idol” was on. And she missed it. Choices.

It’s been cold here compared to our regular mild winters, but it brings back such fond memories for me of Canadian winters. We’ve had delays for school, which seems so odd when I look out and my car doesn’t even need to be scraped. I truly remember walking to the bus stop (which was farther away than we walk Miss J to school) all bundled up while my Mom pulled some of my siblings in a sled through a blizzard, with snow piled up above my head on either side of the sidewalk. But apparently it is dangerously cold here. Today when we walked Miss J to school (after the 2 hour delay) I had people calling me crazy, but the kids found it remarkable that they could sniff and their boogers would freeze on the spot. Definitely fond childhood memories. I was smiling so much my teeth were freezing!

Eggplant was on sale the other day, and I couldn’t resist. It’s not that I adore the taste of eggplant, though I do like it, but I am utterly attracted to eggplant. I have it sitting on my counter and if just looks so beautiful there, I hate to have to cut and cook it. Truly, the most sensuous vegetable I have had the chance to lay eyes on. Mmmmmmm.

We had the missionaries over for dinner tonight, and Miss J initiated the conversation by stating, “I got in big trouble this morning.” The kind missionary asked, “With who?” I was impressed with the answer my daughter gave: “With myself. I was trying to get the water out of the fridge and I knocked a big jar of spaghetti sauce and the jar broke into a million pieces of glass and the sauce was everywhere and it was a big mess. Mom was not happy. But then we made cookies and ate them with milk and everything was better.” I love that kisses, cookies and milk still can save a day.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Eggplant!(I know! after all you just said all I have to say is...) It is intriguing! I have to agree! I don't even like them one bit!!!! I tried! But if I see them at the store and I find a really good looking one, I want to buy it Just because it looks so neat and different from the others and pretty! And shiny! And smooth! And neat! even though I know NO ONE in my house hold would eat it, and it would just go to waste, I still pick the good ones up just to look at them ;)

Carla said...

Eggplant?? Sensuous??!! Haha! I love it!

Jennifer said...

oh it truly is delicious when the natural consequences work out. I love that too. Eggplant? Not really into eggplant...but asparagus...very amazing :)

Mamabug said...

I like the idea of natural consequences of staying up late by making up the missed time the next day. That is brilliant. I have been struggling with getting kids to bed. The bedtime keeps moving up by a half hour - it is driving me crazy. I think I will have to try these natural consequences out. Thanks!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...