Friday, January 16, 2009

Integration


With MLK day just around the corner, we've been talking and reading about civil rights and freedoms, and of course the great dreams and realities that took so long to come to be. Children are so precious in their views of equality, and it's hard for them to comprehend a world full of such hatred. At any rate, for one activity this week I had the boys read a few books about Martin Luther King Jr.'s life and spectacular speech and then draw a picture representing his dream. They were convinced they had to draw Dr. King with a big microphone (as you can see), and slowly the drawings changed to include not only black and white little boys playing together, but Yoda as well. When describing these pictures to my brother, he insisted that Dr. King would be impressed with their inclusion as that is REAL integration.

2 comments:

Amy said...

first of all I enjoyed your odds and ends post. I also am attracted eggplant for some unkown reason. Though I have never bought one, I can often be found taking long glances at them in the grocery store. I also like the natural consequences and the freezing boogers and the story about you walking barefoot to school in the snow uphill both ways:)

As for MLK, I was thing about how accepting my children are too about people and about how each generation is getting better. Then I though about my family (Kai's family) I thought about all of the cousins that my kids have- I think if you lined them up and took a picture it might look like and add for hands accross the world or something. We are so mixed in our ethnicity. Kai's grandpa was refused an advancement in the military because he married a Hawaiian. I'm glad we have eveolved.

Wow- that was a lot of babble.

Anne Marie said...

That picture of Yoda and Martin Luther King is classic! I really admire how you talk to your kids and teach them about things.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...