Tuesday, November 27, 2007

North Pole Adventure

This is year I didn’t host Thanksgiving. Not Canadian Thanksgiving or American (last year I hosted both). To be completely honest, Canadian Thanksgiving went pretty much un-celebrated in our home this year – something about having a new baby that is throwing off some of the holidays! So, for American Thanksgiving, we decided to celebrate in Canada! Not really, but it just worked out that way. On Friday the 16th we loaded up our van with kids and our car top with everything from fancy wedding reception attire, gifts, swimming gear for the hotel pool to snow suits for tobogganing. We crashed at my Mom’s new house (so nice) even though they were gone. Saturday we headed to my home town (where nobody in my family actually lives anymore) and hung out at our one night hotel for a bit before attending my brother’s after-the-fact second wedding reception. Just as we were heading out, all dressed up in our fancy attire (and oh how cute we all looked), Big J announced that she only had running shoes. (This was not the only necessary item I neglected to pack, I must reiterate that I HATE packing!) So on our way to the reception we stopped and bought her a pair of dress shoes! She did have her singing debut at the reception after all and was amazing! She was nervous so I told her to ask her Uncle and Auntie (the bride and groom) to stand beside her holding her hands. She did, and it was perfect; she was so focused. When she was done my Aunt came up to her with a pen and paper and asked for her autograph. She smiled, said sure and took the pen and paper from her, then turned to me and whispered, “What’s an autograph?” Too cute. I told her it was her name or signature, she then wrote it and said to my Aunt – “I gave you my phone number too!” The boys were darling in their adorable outfits and always wanting to help Grandma with the food. Little E was a sneak and kept asking different extended family members to help him get some refreshments. I must have seen him going up with a new plate full a dozen times – each time grinning away at me; he so knew what he was doing! Baby J was mostly held by my sweet sister, however she somehow managed to hand him back to me when he puked all over my dry-clean only attire and covered the dance floor for someone to slip on! Of course the night wouldn’t be complete without my little princess catching the bride’s bouquet. The funny thing is (apparently we are still new to the whole wedding thing) she handed it right back to her Aunt thinking it was a game. It was a dangerous game at that; she practically clobbered a girl trying to get it… but she won! Congrats again to my brother and his beautiful bride. We love you!

Sunday I dropped Mr. Man off at the train station so he could head up to the big city to work for a few days and make some money for all the Christmas shopping I’ve done. The kids and I went back to my Mom’s (this time with those who reside there) and enjoyed a few relaxing days letting the kids run around the basement where all the toys are, doing some little projects, playing games, eating good food and doing some of the touristy things in their new little town. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the baby who now is blabbering non-stop and seems to be saying “I love you” right back to us! A special treat was going to this huge greenhouse with petting zoo, rides lots of holiday decorations and of course plants. I have fond memories of going there when I was very young and it was a bit nostalgic to be back and enjoy it with my own kids. We also braved the rainy weather and went for an adventurous walk on the Pelee boardwalk and thankfully only saw frogs and not snakes. We even enjoyed looking at Christmas lights at night with my Dad. Fun times. I love spending time with family.

Wednesday was a bit of a nightmare. We started our travels at 11:30am. Made a pitt stop at one of my favourite friends’ houses at 2pm, picked up my Mother-in-law at 6pm so she could drive, picked up Mr. Man at 7:30 and made it to my in-law’s house around 9pm. It was a long day. I am not a highway driver and was praying (rather than cursing) under my breath as I drove in the dark and pouring rain alone with four kids for several hours. At one point Baby J and Little E were sound asleep and Mr. T announced that he had to use the bathroom (we had just approached a service center – really the best invention, I don’t know why they don’t exist in the states) anyways, I had no clue how I was going to maneuver two sleeping children and two others into a bathroom on my own, so I just told him that the bathroom was out of order there and we had to keep going. Almost 2 hours later we stopped somewhere and thankfully nobody had peed themselves! It was a feat, and no wonder that when we finally saw our exit to get to Grandma’s work, Big J announced “Dixie Road – thank the Lord!”

Thursday we celebrated Thanksgiving with a grand feast. And I didn’t cook a thing! How nice to be spoiled and fed like a queen. It was nice. It was also snowing like crazy! It is absolutely beautiful up north… I forget at times. The kids enjoyed the snow as only children can. And I have to admit I had a lot of fun zooming down the hills with them! (Though I think “jumps” are not good for bodies over the age of 25 – ouch!) Hot chocolate and donuts at Tim Hortons is always a treat, and we even visited the LEGO outlet. Mr. Man and his Dad were working in the garage on a secret present for the boys which I am SOOOOO excited about. But YOU have to wait until Christmas, and the kids were kept very busy chasing ALL the cats around the house. Funny thing, last year at Thanksgiving, Mr. Man’s Dad adopted one of the strays out back whom we had named Christmas – (Mr. Man named her this because she was the runt and he was sure she wouldn’t last until Christmas… he told the kids that she was named Christmas because her ears looked like they had frosting on them). Anyways, the kids are always talking about her, and though she has been renamed, she will always be Christmas to our kids. The last few weeks as we have been out and about (said with a Canadian accent of course) doing our Christmas shopping, the boys have been confused and insisted that “Christmas shopping” meant buying cat toys for Christmas. So we also had a bag full of cat toys, cat ornaments and cat treats to give to this little kitten of ours who has grown into a well-fed cat.

Now we are home and since it poured with rain the whole way, I have now completed about 10 loads of laundry and I think every item that left our home is back where it belongs. We had a wonderful trip. It was great to see so much family and have a relaxing time. The baby is a great traveler and the kids enjoyed watching so many movies! We now have the special treat of having brought my brother home with us (though we were given a huge hassle and long wait at the border for attempting to do so) – he is worth the effort! Thanks to everyone who hosted and loved us! (And thanks for the carrot cake while we skipped out of Sunday school!)

Pictures to follow, eh.

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

Loved the update. You definitely are a gifted writer. Sounds like there were a few bumps in the road but I'm glad that you had a great time overall. I love Big J's personality. So funny about the autograph!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...