Thursday, June 28, 2007

Some thoughts on sleeping with people...

When I think about who I slept with last night, not only am I full of regrets – as we didn’t even wake up together, I am also covered with bruises and contusions. Lately I’ve been sleeping with all sorts of people other than my husband – all of whom are related to me. Last night it was Big J. That girl just keeps rolling and rolling, her arms and legs flailing and kicking as she goes. I was slapped in the face, kicked in the stomach and at one point all the contents on Mr. Man’s bedside table were whipped onto the floor in one foul swoop of the accused arm. At first I would lovingly move her over, stroking her hair out of her face and whispering that I loved her and needed her to stop kicking me. Soon push turned to shove, and I knew that in order to save what was left of our relationship, I would need to finish the night out on the couch.

A few nights ago I awoke feeling a little squished and literally on the very edge of the bed. At first I thought it was due to the dozen or so pillows I use to keep my leg propped and my body in at least a state of believable comfort. Nope. Instead all my children had at some point crawled into bed with me and completely snuggled into me. Little E is the sneakiest and nuzzles so near that you almost think it’s just your arm. Mr. Man has awoken many a morning in the past thanking me for the back rub that ultimately was his son trying to knead him awake with his little feet!

Last week I had Mr. T and his fever in bed with me. I could feel the heat off of his little body, and if he weren’t so warm I would have found more of the humor behind his outbursts and hallucinations. I suppose you could say we “didn’t” sleep together.

Several weeks ago when my sister was here, I slept with her little 4 month old in our room as a nice reminder of the numerous awakenings that will continue after the pressure on my bladder has been relieved. My sister and I slept on my bed and never did a single body part touch… we were glued to our sides! She reminded me of days when we were much younger and on family vacations where we stayed in hotels I would kick and push and she hoped I had changed. The truth escaped my lips, and I asked her if she remembered what happened shortly after those experiences. She did. From that time on, I always got my own bed, because my reputation had surpassed me and nobody would dare sleep with the kicking devil. I’m surprised nobody had figured me out, but I can completely remember staying up and purposely wreaking havoc, tossing and turning so that I would be able to get my own bed!

Truly I love sleeping all by myself. I love the covers tucked in as tight as can be. The fan turned on full-blast, and the sheets fresh everyday! Mr. Man hates when I suggest we get two single beds so that I can have my own… but truth be told, I am missing sleeping with him. It makes me wonder if my daughter will ever be co-sleep worthy. Is it something you grow into, a skill you develop, do you have to find the right person to sleep with? Regardless I’m tired. Tonight I don’t think it will matter whom I sleep with… and only 2 more sleeps till my real sleeping partner returns and kicks everyone else out!

2 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Hope you can get some better sleep soon! That will be so great to have your man back.

Kristy said...

Sometimes, the kids can be fun little snugglers, but they definitely interfere with sleep, too! Hope you get some soon ...

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...