Sunday, June 24, 2007

Single Parenting Revolution

I have always held a deep respect for those who have to parent single-handedly these tiny human beings who demand so much and deserve all the love they can get. Every time I am forced to be a single parent for short periods of time, my respect turns to amazement and wonder and truly I label some of you amazing single parents as saints. I don’t know how you do it. Never having that morning off to sleep in, not having someone to turn over bedtime to on one of those days… I know I’m not the only “single-parent” shedding the occasional tear and praying for relief. I admire your dedication to this clearly insurmountable task.

And yet sometimes I think it would be easier to be a single parent if I actually were one. It seems that every day I am reminding three young prodigies of their role and my role – and the fact that they differ, and I get to be the mom right now. How do you curb the bossiness of the eldest “mother” all the way down to the demanding three year old? Yes I need their help now more than ever… but honestly, will my home ever be the same? Why am I no longer the only one using middle names or quoting our family rules? The other day when I was reminded to get my elbows off the table, I immediately worried about mutiny. So my hat goes off to you who are able to preserve some form of parental authority within a single-parent home. Currently our status is comparable to anarchy. Yes in a week the commander in chief will return, but then shortly the odds will turn as we add another little boss to our ship! Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Amen!

Dana and ohana said...

Bosses 1,2, and 3 ALWAYS seem to have the upper hand at our home when Jason is out of town. Being a single mom 3 weeks out of the month sure makes me appreciate that one day a month I get to sleep past 7 a.m.

Kristy said...

That single parent thing would be tough, for sure. I always appreciate Matt when he gets back from a business trip.

Rachel said...

My empathy goes out to you. And my respect for your bedrest has sky rocketed. I've been physically out of it for only 3 weeks and I'm going nuts! I don't know how you do it, girl! YOU ARE AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous site. Single parenting is definately tough, and very exhausting, but always worth it x

Lily said...

*lol* looks like your friend Jenny beat me to the "Amen".

Good Luck

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...