Saturday, May 20, 2006

Potty Chart

The Origins & Purpose of the Potty Chart:
Tyler pees fairly regularly in the potty - he prefers to stand, and can stay dry for days and nights. However, when it comes to #2, well let's just say my son loves to HIDE in small places to do the duty. Whenever I don't know where Tyler is, most likely he is under the table, behind the exercise bike or in a closet pooping. Following a friend's advice, I've tried explaining to him the hiding merit of our little downstairs bathroom. I figure if I can at least get him in there to poop (in the dark, under the sink - how great, right?!) - maybe he'd be that much closer to pooping on the potty. Well when he turned three, just over a month ago, we made the potty chart.
The Reward:
When he has filled in the 7 poop balls (he loved that part by the way) he gets to go to McDonalds. Somewhere along the way Greg changed the rules and even if he started to poop elsewhere, we awarded him for finishing his poop in the potty. (Oh, and I think he added jelly beans to the equation also). It's been a long haul, but Tyler finally filled his chart and so the other day we went to get his happy meal. (I saw a cartoon once that showed a mother explaining to her kids, "It's called a happy meal because I don't have to make it!" end side note.) Tyler fell asleep in drive-thru - and even the tempting smell and salty taste didn't rouse him!

At home he awoke. He was happy to have his McDonalds, but is now asking for a new chart! So now you see how one of my charts works ... but what explanation is there for my children's obssession over "more charts"?! Maybe the reward for filling out the next one will be another chart!

5 comments:

Kristy said...

I love it! Nate had the same problem, but finally outgrew it. If only I had had the poop in the potty chart!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we had the same problem, at about the same age. And Neils, too asked for another chart after the first successful go-around. Originally I discontinued the chart, and the poop problems resumed, along with wet accidents as well, so what we ended up doing was using a calendar to extend what we expected of him. Just a regular calendar, but his OWN calendar, in his own room, at his own eye level.

For each day he stayed clean and dry all day long, he got a sticker. At the end of a week, a full week of stickers, we went to Magic Planet (a big pizza place with a HUGE indoor play room for those outside Bloomington, IN). This took more than a week. At the successful conclusion, again he asked for the stickers on his chart, so we said at the end of two weeks we'd do something special (I forget what, now). Then it was a month. By the end of the month he pretty much had forgotten all about the chart and the stickers, and pooping in the potty was just what he expected of himself.

Camie said...

Do you read Kelli France's blog?? She just posted about potty training too! Must be an important theme for mommies!

My Many Coloured Days said...

Melissa - that's a great idea! Since driving up to Canada we're having issues even with #1, so tomorrow we're going to hunt down a 2006 calendar (preferably a batman one!) I know potty training is an issue - I'm just glad I'm not the only one with the "issue"! I totally took for grated how easy it was with Julia - but 'tis life!

Kelli France said...

Ya know, that "M" looks like an upside-down bum. LOL!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...