Friday, May 12, 2006

Blubublus!

If you know my kids, you know that somehow when the talking genes were passed out, Julia got more than her fair share and really didn't leave much for the boys. Tyler has had his little issues with hearing and now after a year of speech therapy is doing MUCH better. I thought everything he said was understandable, but after a week of hearing my Mom constantly ask him to repeat himself and then ask me for an interpretation, I've decided he might not be as understandable as I thought; I've merely learned his language.

Ethan had his 2 year old checkup this morning and the Dr. insisted he get a speech evaluation. Greg told me she insisted we do it before we leave for the summer (in just 9 days) and I waved it off as something to do when we get back. It wasn't long before the doctor's office called to inform me that they were setting up the appointment just to make sure we did it! The nerve! Greg is concerned however, so this will be a topic of "discussion"! Ethan started saying words about a month or so ago. Before that he was basically silent, and we've relied on a lot of signing.

Here's a brief dialog that occured after nap time:

Ethan: blubublus
Mommy: Did you have a good nap, sweetie?"
E: blubublus
M: What would you like?
E: blubublus
M: Are you thirsty? Do you want to go downstairs and get a drink and snack?
E: (enthusiastic hand pulling towards stairs)
I proceed to get him a snack... Ethan throws a tantrum, which I ignore...
M: What would you like to drink with your snack?
E: blubublus, blubublus!
M: Water bottle? (I give him a water bottle which he throws down on the floor)
E: blubublus
M: Okay then. Juice or milk?
E: blubublus
M: Honey, can you show me what you want?
He now takes my hand and leads me to the couch where he sits down very contentedly, folds his hands in his lap and looks up at me as if I MUST now understand and repeats those famous words...
E: blubublus mama, blubublus
M: GREG! CAN YOU COME HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS SON OF YOURS WANTS?
Greg comes down. After attempting translation for several times...
G: Ethan, can you show Daddy some more of what it is you want?
Ethan goes over to the VCR and DVD players and starts pressing all the buttons. Apparently he must want a movie. Greg opens up the movie drawer and Ethan starts pulling out movies and naming them.
E: Doda! (Dora) Memo! (Elmo) Blubublus! (INCREDIBLES)! Mama! (pointing at Elastigirl) Dat Dat! (Jack Jack) BOB!

Then came the let down of, even though we now know what you want... you can't have it! Come on now, it's a two hour movie! (The reason he is so familiar with the characters is because the kids were the Incredibles for Halloween).

So what do you think... does my second son need speech therapy too?

3 comments:

Kristy said...

I think he did a very good job of communicating what he needs just fine! Love the Halloween costumes.

When are the Gilpins moving to Texas? Soon, please.

My Many Coloured Days said...

Kristy - we have 2, maybe 3 more years of schooling left here and then the sky's the limit!

Camie said...

Renee--I'm interested to see if we have a similar situation in our house, because Lydia is super talkative and verbal!! I'm not sure there can be any air time for her little brother when he wants to start talking!! At least I'll be there with you when Clayton should start talking, so you can help me!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...