Thursday, May 11, 2006

Fox in Socks

I had my second, and hopefully last, grotesque foot surgery last Friday. Though I am in pain up to ying yang and have a nasty cold, I have to admit that I have been thoroughly enjoying the lounging privileges that have accompanied my recovery period. I do have to note that I would not be reveling so were it not for the love of my mother who has come to help replace me, take care of me, and even clean my house for me! How great are Moms? (Speaking of which – what coloured day do you all expect mother’s day to be? What sneaky ways do you have of controlling that?) Anyways, Mom. Yes Mom. I think she’s very nearly exhausted by 9am each morning (just from getting the kids ready for the day) and has noted that she’s glad she did this childrearing thing when she was 20 years younger. Mom is also convinced she’s lost weight from chasing my kids here and there as well as eating healthy foods at only specified times (yes we have an eating schedule here too!) It’s been fun to watch Greg realize how much I do too! While he’s given me the well-deserved title “commander from the couch” I think he appreciates me a little more. But all good things must come to an end. Tomorrow I bid farewell to my children’s Grandma... and I will be forced to leave my commanding post and re-enter the world of motherhood. I’m rested, that’s for sure, and feel a little more balanced... look I even had time to start a blog!

I do have to post a journal entry I came upon that was apparently written in a moment of haste and used for therapy... but it’s funny to me now!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006
I feel like I am ready to explode but I can’t get all the pieces to collaborate and do it at the same time. I have absolutely no control, not even over myself exploding. My house is a wreck, our home is falling apart at the seams and I can’t get anything done off of my to-do list. I’m tired. I don’t know what my husband wants me to do when he begs me for help and then turns all suggestions aside. I can’t read all the books my children want read because I am so tired and still have to clean up just the messes from the day before awaiting any “accidents” that may occur during the nightly awakenings that collide with the morning eruptions somewhere around 6am. UGGHHHHHH! Did I mention I have a Primary Leadership meeting tomorrow night, a Primary Activity on Saturday and then of course my in-laws are coming for the weekend. Oh, and Greg has his finals next week, a HUGE project due tomorrow at 11am and is currently at the church presenting an Arrow of Light ceremony that I barely completed in time for him. I am surviving on junk food and I know I need to get a handle of life and find some balance, clean my house and try to be a better Mom and wife. I am struggling and just want everyone and everything to disappear for a moment. I am lucky, I know. I could have a heart disease, a new baby, a thyroid problem, be pregnant with my fourth child – all of which are destroying people and friends around me who need help that I feel I can no longer give. I’m tired. I need a shower and some major Ally-McBeal re-runs to get my sense of humor back.


I do have to note that I checked the library for the Ally McBeal re-runs... nada. But upon exploring the IU library – Greg and I were shocked to see that they do have them at the Law Library!!!! This will only be funny to those of you who have seen Ally McBeal. But it’s funny to me and funny is good – yeah for having my sense of humor back! And yeah for having my wish granted in a sick sort of way and being able to disappear! Wish me luck back in the real world with my heavy-duty cushioned sock!

4 comments:

Andrea Hardee said...

Gosh, I'm sorry that things are so rough at the moment. I hope things get better soon. Thank you for sharing the journal entry. It's nice to know that there is hope beyond the unscheduled messes of today. ;)

Michelle said...

Renee, I can SOOO relate to that journal entry, especially today (see MY blog). You are amazing - I hope you know that you left quite an impression on us back here with your domesticated ways! I'm glad Ally McBeal is helping you to keep it real!

Kristy said...

I love the journal entry, too! You and Michelle are cheering me up and I don't feel quite so bad about that spaghetti dinner for 200 this weekend. :)

Andrea Hardee said...

I didn't realize everyone here has a blog! Where do I find them? How long has this been going on? It's so nice to know I'm not alone in my internet wanderings.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...