Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My Baby Turned 4


It seems almost surreal that my baby is now four. That means that more than four years ago I experienced a bed rest pregnancy, it means that four years ago my brother was in a critical car accident, it means that four years ago I was a hero and gave birth (LATE) without an epidural. And it means that four years ago we added the final member to our family and the sweetest little character you can imagine!
The real joy of Little J's birthday this year, amidst his typical excitement, was the excitement that was shared by his siblings! They were overjoyed to celebrate with him and watch him experience the delight a birthday brings. I loved that each gift they gave him, he would declare "I've been waiting for you to give this to me! Thank you!!!"
A favourite treasure was his suitcase. Something each child gets around this age. And perfect since the next day we left on a big camping trip.
And my boy who can spend hours playing playdoh, was more than thrilled with his Transformers playdoh set that actually transforms the molded cars into the guys! I love this picture, because these two have so much in common and are both equally enthralled with the new toy.

The birthday boy requested he spend the day at home. At first I was bummed. But after a trip to his favourite donut store, we spent the day together at home: playing wii, playing with new toys, jumping on the trampoline, reading books, and he even got me in the hot tub (usually I don't like to go in with the kids - way too much rambunctiousness!) Then we got ready for his birthday party with his four friends (though he insisted that with him it was five so that there were more boys than girls!)

It was a superhero party.
And after making their own mini-pizzas, the kids decorated their superhero capes (Little J picked out the colors and ~gasp~ I made the capes). My best idea ever, to keep my big kids from taking over the party, was to put them each in charge of a game. Miss J ran the batcave game where she hid glowsticks in the Harry Potter closet for the kids to find. Mr. T was in charge of "leaping building in a single bound" where he had piles of bean bags on the trampoline for them to jump over. Little E did "batman batman who has your cape?" a twist of the classic game from my childhood. And since they all wanted to help with the villains game, everyone helped the kids squirt the villains with silly string! They were great helpers. The usual dinner, cake and ice cream, gifts and ta-da he had a perfect little party. He was quite the happy birthday boy, once he woke up from a late nap that we had to rouse him from just as the guests were arriving.

I'm glad I have this little superhero in my life, even if he is no longer my favourite age!

4 comments:

Steve and Donna said...

looks like another creative party. Four can be a great age :)

Amy said...

What a wonderful superhero party! I have been contemplating the same idea for the time when my little boy will turn four. Ever since I saw a post about the same thing on Danelle's (from BYUH) blog about it. What a fun mom you are!

I also loved your birthday post (happy late by the way) How scary to not have your final go through. That is the kind of stuff that nightmare's a re created for. I am so glad that it all worked out

And finally . . . so cute how your kids took over for dinner and breakfast. Evey time I make luch this summer I think about the assembly line you had your kids do last summer for lunches. Such a good idea.

Memories On The Go said...

Oh, yes the memories will always be there of major events and miracles that took place 4 years ago. Indeed your baby is one of those great miracles! Thanks for posting the photos of his special day. You sure do know how to plan a fun party and so wonderful to involve the siblings :)

libbie said...

Wow. That went REALLY fast! Happy Birthday to your little cutie!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...