Saturday, August 27, 2011

Who's YOUR teacher?

Thursday was the meet and greet for the children to go meet their new teachers. School starts on Monday here. Up and down the neighborhood, phone calls coming in, and throughout the halls I heard time and time again, "Who's YOUR teacher?" Truthfully I asked the same thing to several little kiddos, trying to narrow down who would be in my kids' classes and also because it seemed the practical quick question to ask after not seeing some children all summer long. Asking about summer would take far too long, but a "Who's YOUR teacher?" could be accurately answered in two short words and then the conversation easily dismissed.

Even though school hasn't even started yet, just knowing WHO the teacher is has seems to determine for many children what type of year they will have. Either s/he's "mean" or s/he's "nice." And as I listen to all these kids around comparing, complaining or congratulating on teachers, it seems there is a common theme: food and treats. One teacher gives out jolly ranchers when you turn in your homework on time. Another hands out chewing gum when tests are taken. And still there is the teacher that tosses candy when a question is answered correctly. It appears that anything can be overlooked when there are treats involved.

Our little neighbor girl down the street was slightly disappointed not to get the teacher she wanted... the pretty one who dresses nice. One of my own kids was mostly interested in the fact that his three main friends are NOT in his class this year, but instead are all together in another class. Friends are a big issue, I'll grant him that. But still the "who's your teacher" destiny determiner seems rather lacking in value.

Nobody wants to be the teacher nobody wants, the strict one who keeps children on task and doing their work. And yet, I struggle that I'm not hearing things like "she's a really great teacher" or "I learned so much from him," or perhaps even "she made science so much fun" when children are speaking about the "good" teachers. Remember my dream for my children's teachers?

Hopefully parents are not so shallow in their perceptions and preoccupations about the teachers, but at least I've learned how to be a good teacher as far as the children are concerned. Oh yes, I'm going to be the teacher who brings donuts every Friday!

1 comment:

Miss C said...

i would so be in your class! i love donuts!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...