Monday, July 11, 2011

I get a "kick" out of this kid

I remember when I couldn't wait for my kids to turn the right ages so I could sign them up for sports, arts and other activities. Three was usually the "magic sign up age" and I couldn't wait to figure out their talents and skills so that I could push them towards some lofty Olympic goal. Even before my kids could walk or talk, I was taking them to parent-tot activities to help them become co-ordinated, rhythmic fools. It didn't take me long to realize that I was only exhausting myself, and the only one learning anything (that this is a waste of time and money) and usually the only one socializing (with other mothers like myself whose kids can't yet communicate). Since that time of absurd tiger mother mentality, I have lapsed into another stage of lazy mothering. My kids have each other to play with, that's why I had them after all. They can sing on my lap at the piano, we can play catch or kick balls together, heck we can even play music of every sort and dance our hearts out together. And so, unless my kids express a large interest in something, I no longer sign them up for things that they may or may not like. I will say, that when they were younger it was nice to have an excuse to get out of the house and most of the activities we did were enjoyable and kept us busy, but now we're busy enough without anything extra. My kids are going to be pretty well-rounded for all the attempts they've made at dipping into different activities, but they won't be playing at Carnegie hall any time soon, but hopefully they will remember their childhoods with fondness. Now this isn't to say we sit around doing nothing but play all day. Each child plays and practices piano (to their great delight) and then there is cub scouts and activity days and each can choose one other activity if they wish. The older boys did Taekwondo last year and Miss J went from basketball to ballet. I don't know how to physically balance any more than that and still have time to make dinner and read stories occasionally.

And so, when I saw the sign-ups for a soccer class for Little J, I barely glanced at it. Hello - he has three other siblings to play soccer with if he wants. He would rather play at the playground at the park than in a field. My other three year olds were horrible at soccer and it soon became a battle to get them there. I was not about to push it. But then I saw the price and the time commitment: four weeks, a half hour a week, $10. Surely we could handle that? And guess what? He LOVES it and he's great at it. This kid is such a good listener, the coaches are fabulous, and he is a star player. Seeing him literally wind up before he kicks makes my heart happy!
His siblings play on the playground while he kicks his heart out, and he practically gets himself to soccer practice he's so excited to get dressed and go. No forcing, bribing, or tackling into the car. This makes for a very happy mama. We're on to our last week and it was short enough that I'm not even sighing in relief like I usually do after a sport season. And now my lazy mother system is getting shot down as I wonder what I can sign him up for next! Poor boy has been missing out.

1 comment:

Roy Saunderson said...

So glad to have been there with you to capture this memory too.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...