Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Finding my Groove

This summer started out sl0wly. The gorgeous weather we are now enjoying took its time getting here, and I did summer classes the first summer term which extended into two weeks of the kids' summer break. They had their Dad to themselves in the morning, adventures with me during my two hour mid-day break, and then a fabulous babysitter in the afternoons. We couldn't have been happier, and paying somebody to play with my kids was the best guilt-free idea of the summer. We love our babysitter to pieces.

At any rate, I had a glorious 4 day break before starting a single online course (which has been interesting) and preparing for a large family gathering. My mental health has been pretty stable, but knowing how much stress (good and bad) can come from large groups (especially family:) I was able to double up my meds for the week and boy did that help. I couldn't feel anything. Which may sound horrible, but it was what I needed. I was able to just keep going from one meal, cleanup, activity, school assignment, craft, and game to the next. When people were leaving and hugging me, some with tears, I knew I would feel sad later, but at the time I couldn't feel it and was able to say goodbye and keep on going. I couldn't feel sad, and I couldn't be ecstatic, but I was stable.

Now we're on to long summer days with the kiddos, and usually a few extra that I'm either babysitting or just friends who have joined us. I am having a blast coming up with plans for our days. Today we named it "Firefighter Appreciation Day" and made cards and cookies which we then biked down to the fire station. They were out on a job our first time, but after a visit to the park we stopped by again and caught them and even lucked out and had an unexpected tour! From fast-paced hikes and bike rides, to low-key hot-tubbing and backyard games, we are staying busy and staying up late, reading books and watching movies, or having a fire in the backyard. I forget how much I love planning and being with children. It's exhausting but so rewarding, and right now there's only one of my kids that I am willing to trade!

We are heading out for some camping by a lake and should get in some fun beach and canoeing time too.

We're in a good groove over here, and it's about time! Summer here makes us want to stay forever. I only wish it were longer!

1 comment:

Scott and Tisha said...

Sounds like fun at your place- no wonder my children ask daily to come visit their cousins!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...