Thursday, July 21, 2011

Slightly Disturbing

Did you have to look at that picture twice?

I'm going to call it "George Lucas takes on the Dark Side."

Stupid rubber snakes. I hate them almost as much as I hate real ones. For years now, my kids have picked up on my disgust of anything creepy crawly and I have found spiders and snakes (fake ones) in my bed, on my face while sleeping, in my books, in my kitchen drawers... you name it. It's disconcerting. As such, I have proclaimed the right to throw out any rubber creatures, and am always on the lookout for party bags or other techniques to allow entrance to these annoying pests into my home. We haven't had a rubber snake in our house in a long time... and so the other day when I saw a snake in my yard, I didn't even question if it was real or rubber.

Embarrassingly enough I had a friend and her kids over and created a little scene for her to laugh at. We were sitting on the deck talking when I looked into the grass and saw what I thought was a real snake. I started freaking out and since my friend refused to be the one to touch it and I wanted to get rid of it right away I started wondering out loud what we should do. I wondered if there was a number we could call for someone to come catch it and get rid of it. I was slightly stupefied and freaked out and then I called the kids out to see the snake, swearing them to stay on the deck. My friend commented that it sort of looked like one of those rubber snakes, and I informed her that we didn't have any of those in our house. The kids came out and laughed and me and Mr. T began to approach it saying it was his toy snake. I was still wary and had him throw a stick at it to see if it would move - since it hadn't moved yet. And, of course, it was his rubber snake - who knows how it snuck in - and it has been showing up in endless locations freaking me out ever since.

2 comments:

Scott and Tisha said...

too funny, the picture had me convinced it was a real snake-eww I dread this stage with my boys!

Steve and Donna said...

actually we have real ones here and my cats have found them :)

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...