Monday, December 20, 2010

Reading with my Three Year Old

I wish I had gotten this on video- or at least the audio. There's always tomorrow.

Here's what it's typically like reading to my little guy. This was just ONE of the many books we went through today... and this was a short one. His comments are in bold. He talks constantly, and more than I even read!

I am a ...
a puppy. Him's a puppy.
I am a Puppy.
Yup. A puppy. That's a dog. A baby dog. Hims parents are dead. Yeah. Dead.
I am a puppy. My name is Bruno.
That's not a good name. I don't like that name.
I am a beagle.
Look there's a squirrel thing popping up.
Him wants to eat that bird.
Hims parents are not dead. They're gone with the other kids.
Oh look - that's the mom. There's the mom chasing him.
I like to play with my friends. Sometimes we run across the fields.
Sometimes we wrestle and roll around.
Yeah. That's fun. Fun with hims mom. Hims dad is dead.
Whenever I find something nice I bring it home.
Is that hims shoe? Him needs to put ON hims shoe.
In the summer, I swim in the creek.
I like to swim. That's a froggy.
In the winter, I play in the snow.
ME TOO! That's a bunny. Hims chasing the bunny.
But best of all, I like to explore. I creep through bushes. I crawl behind rocks. (This was the only page I got through without interruption.)
Once I met a skunk. Luckily, he was friendly.
Hims a stinker. There's that squirrel thing.
Once I met -
Hims scared of the big dogs.
Once I met some big dogs. They turned out to be friendly, too.
Them not. They mean.
Ouch.
(I turned the page on his finger) That hurt. That your fault.
Every time I get myself dirty I have to take a bath. I HATE BATHS.
Yeah. Him hates baths. That's a bad word. Him want to get out of that thing.
(We used to change that bad word to "not like" but the readers in the house haven't caught on when they read to him, so now he can't be tricked!)
And every night, I curl up in my bed and go to sleep.
There's that fire guy. See... that's the fire guy. Him doesn't see him. Hims invisible. Fire guys come at night and they're invisible. Some are good and some are bad. I'll shoot the bad fire guys.
(Check out the fire guy... I didn't know what he was talking about, so I had him point it out!)
I be right back with more books for you to read to me under the cold covers.


Here he is... this time quiet:


2 comments:

MOM said...

Reading is an adventure with your three year old! I so much want to come over and read with him :) Total participation and what an imagination -- I love it!!

The Wilsons said...

This is SOOOO priceless! How absolutely wonderful for you to have taken the time to write it down. (That, to me, seems like a mountain!!!) I am always worn out with a reading like this one--it's incredible how fast (and random) these kids' minds work and how much of it comes out of their mouths!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...