Saturday, September 09, 2006

My New Title

It started earlier this week, and has made it through the weekend. I'm hoping it's a new trend that will become rather catchy around our home. The first time I heard it the boys and I were driving to pick up Big J from kindergarten (since her small-sized class is at a far-away school). I passed back a snack... the forbidden snack that Daddy had purchased and I had grabbed in a rushed moment of necessity: fruit snacks. Mr. T nearly jumped out of his car seat and exclaimed, "You're the best Mom ever!" My heart stings pulled, yet I felt it was imperative to mention that Daddy had been the true giver of the snack. His reply, "But you passed it back here cause you're the best Mom ever!"

Later it was the ice cream for dessert that merited the golden title. "You're the best Mom ever" was pronounced when a long lost toy was found and when I dragged his bike through the grass to the sidewalk. The title is growing on me and is especially effective when given with Mr. T's to-die-for smile (complete with squinty eyes) and even better with a hug! Sadly, however it was used as definite manipulation yesterday: "Mom, cause you're the best Mom ever can I stay up late and watch Star Wars?" Um, no. And today I felt betrayed, and yes even a tinge of jealousy, when I heard him utter "You're the best Dad ever" and even "You're the best brother ever". Can it be that we are all just the best to him, or has my three year old learned the fine art of flattery? Regardless, I can only say that truly labels do work wonders on your self-esteem and your actions. If only for a few moments scattered throughout the week, I was the best Mom ever!

3 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Very cute! Tyler sounds like such a sweetie pie.

Anonymous said...

I totally support Mr T and echo "You're the Best Mom Ever"! Go back to this blog on days when you don't quite feel like it!!

Kristy said...

That is too funny. When Nate really wants something, but he knows he won't get it, he'll often say, "I love you mom," with a big snuggle.

I usually give in.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...