Sunday, September 17, 2006

I Spy Superman

Little E is his own very best playmate. He loves to play on his own. Often he will meander away from a group activity to go upstairs and play with his trains all by himself. Sometimes I'll try to make an entrance into his playland and be thoroughly told to "go 'way!" This little man needs his space!

I recently started to make an effort at planning playdates for each of my children on a weekly basis... that includes my little 2 year old who prefers to fly solo. I've been stunned at the results. While two year olds don't exactly play "together," Little E is becoming quite the little host and a fabulous friend. Last week when he had his "playdate" at our home... he dedicated himself to making his little friend as comfortable as possible. He brought him any toy he thought might interest him - including all his very own favourites! He shared anything the little guy attempted to grab from him with a smile and a "here you go" that only I could understand! He was as thoughtful and as gentlemanly as you could imagine and I wasn't the only one shocked. The other mother (my "playdate") couldn't get over his manners and his ability to share at such a young age. I had to acknowledge my own surprise, but it was definately one of those proud Mommy moments!

Tonight after letting the kids run around in the grass in bare feet (it was such a gorgeous evening) I was trying to gather everyone in for bedtime. Always a daunting task, but tonight I couldn't seem to find Little E anywhere. Though I was pretty sure he would be off somewhere playing on his own, I was a little concerned that he had somehow snuck back outside. After a rampant search outside I started looking all over our house once again. Downstairs, upstairs, and on my way back down the stairs when a flash of light caught my eye. There was Little E in the dark bathroom, sitting behind the shower curtain in the empty bathtub playing with a flashlight and watching the light reflect on the shiny overflow. I watched him for a moment playing by himself and then went to get the camera to capture the moment. In doing so I interrupted his "moment" and he shooed me away so he could continue his experimentation... alone. I guess Superman does prefer to work alone! Isn't he sweet?!

5 comments:

Camie said...

Wow--that really is impressive for a 2 year old!! It always feels good when you see your kids actually doing what you have taught them!! What a sweetheart!

Kristy said...

That is amazing! What a cute boy.

And on a side note -- I miss lots of things about Kansas, but being able to let your kids run around on the grass with bare feet is pretty darn cool, eh?

My Many Coloured Days said...

Yes - no more chiggers!!!

Anne Marie said...

Ethan is so sweet. What a cutie pie! I'm glad his playdate went so well.

Michelle said...

that is a sweet memory! i love little boys!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...