Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Overheard: Gender Issues

Our neighbour, who recently returned from being gone all summer, discovered that they have "hatched" four little kittens. The babies and their mother are residing beneath their children's picnic table which is perfect for small children to peek in and observe. My kids are entranced and utterly fascinated with every detail of these kittens. On the way to the grocery store I "overheard" BigJ and Mr. T discussing the following:

T: Where's the Daddy Cat Julia?
J: Ummmm....
T: I think he DIED!
J: No, he didn't die.
T: Yes he did. He DIED!
J: No. The Daddy Cat only comes home at night time. He brings them food.
T: So where is he all day long.
J: I don't know. He's working somewhere, probably working so he can find some food for his family.
T: Oh. Really?
J: Of course.
T: No he doesn't. He DIED!

Are all boys obsessed with death and bad guys... and are all little girls set in such sterotypical gender outlooks? I'm amused. Furthermore, it appears we'll be delving into numerous issues and subsequent conversations thanks to this fun little homeschooling project nextdoor!

Speaking of which, today was BigJ's first day of kindergarten and I'm working on writing a post that doesn't sound completely like an orbituary and hoping one day my pictures will want to upload ... stay tuned.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

I was having picture trouble, too, until I started using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. Love it!

Also, yes, it seems that boys of a certain age talk about death. You'll love it when they change the words of a Primary song to killing or death. Or maybe that's just my boys ...

Anne Marie said...

Boys and girls are TOTALLY different. I've had much more experience obviously with one gender. I'll never forget when Connor was 2 1/2 in nursery. The lesson was about the Holy Ghost. The leader asked the kids, "Does the Holy Ghost teach us to do good or bad things?" Connor piped up, "bad things, like kill." I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Who knows where he got that one? Connor has asked many questions through the years about death and what happens. Kids are always coming up with crazy stuff. I like your nicknames for Julia and Tyler.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...