Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Symphony Sensation

Last night, after an out of body experience where I braved the death bridges and downtown Toronto traffic, my Mom and I attended the Toronto Symphony Orchestra at Roy Thomson Hall courtesy of my wonderful in-laws who are out of town. Can I just say how fabulous it was to be there; words cannot express! I’ve attended the symphony before, but I have never sat in the third row practically reading the orchestra’s music, feeling the breath of the opera singer as he exhaled, and seeing the beads of sweat on the conductor’s brow as he danced and flirted with the audience. How invigorating to really feel like I was actually a part of something so encompassing and abundant in talent.

I was infatuated with the concertmaster violinist who arrived in jeans and a t-shirt just 10 minutes prior to the program and ran to change into his suit. He did not look like he belonged in a suit. But he played beautifully and accomplished the role the conductor/comedian staged him for. I watched several of the different people and guessed their life stories. The man with the raggedy ponytail and frayed cuffs puzzled me. The older, yet quite sophisticated principal cellist who broke his role and played a saw, a real saw, (and quite shocked all of us with the lovely sound) left me dazzled and curious. The very pregnant young violinist who left for a part of the performance breathing heavily interested me. I loved the group of men in the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir who would sway back and forth and then started the wave at one point.

It was a very engaging concert, and one that quite included the audience. We participated so much that a friend sitting with us commented that he hoped his name would be in the program. There was a sing along as well as encouraged flag waving (which developed quite a breeze throughout the hall). Peter Heidrich’s composition of the “Happy Birthday” Variations was such fun and really very amusing. Imagine hearing that old classic played in adaptations such as Bach, Vivaldi or Beethoven… along with others! We were all laughing - and the conductor, Nicholas McGegan, really performed and entertained us almost as much as the music.

All in all I had a most memorable time. The cincher was when we all stood to sing the national anthem at the end of the performance with the choir and orchestra. I don’t remember the last time I was able to do this. While it provided for me a rich feast of vitality and patriotism, it was also, as our friend commented, a cheap shot at a standing ovation! Ultimately, the music was mesmerizing, the people-watching fascinating and the company impeccable. In my mind I have set a new goal to one day truly be a part of such a performance. Such things as dreams are made of.

1 comment:

Ally said...

I am extremely envious. It's been so long since I have been able to have an experience like that. And what a great memory with your mom. I MISS YOU!!! COME HOME!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...