Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Ugly Brown Couches

 I grew up in a lovely home with an ugly brown couch and matching recliner.  Apparently it was what my parents agreed upon when first furniture shopping.  It was, so they say, plain and neutral and would go with anything.  To be honest, they became such a staple in the home that I'm not quite sure when they disappeared. I'm curious now if they were donated, trashed, or what.  At any rate, it seemed almost fitting that when we entered the cabin where our family reunion would take place that the first thing to catch my eye were the ugly brown couches.  A lighter brown, and yet just as hideous.  However, upon discovering their reclining ability and the surprising comfort of corduroy, those couches became the main hangout and even a source of disputes as we each tried to get a spot.

Once the kids were in bed (or at least out of sight), there were just enough seats for all the adults.  Here we played games, ate, and chatted.  During the daylight hours, the couches were sort of a conversation haven and unofficial hangout.  Jokes and stories were told (of both the long and spooky variety) and the topics that were brought up are too numerous and scattered to remember. (Circumcision anyone?)

I especially liked seeing kids who would wander over and listen quietly.  I wonder what they got from all that chatter?  I wonder what they're thinking.
Ugly brown couches seem to run in the family.

2 comments:

Scott and Tisha said...

That is too funny,Scott and I started with a set of brown couches too :) it must really be a trend. Those couches at the cabin were Sooooo comfy! Good times!

Memories On The Go said...

Never knew you didn't like our lovely brown couch & reclining chair!! For the record, your Dad chose them (I wanted floral) :)

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...