Thursday, August 15, 2013

ADHD?

One little boy who frequents our home in the summer begins almost every sentence with, "No offense, but..."
Of course whatever proceeds to come out of his mouth is typically slightly offensive, in the best little kid sort of way.

Recently, one of his disclaimers was followed by him asking me if I had ever wondered if my son, Little E, had ADHD.  I'm not a pro at this parenting gig, but I have a few years under my belt and I'm practically a college graduate, so I calmly asked him a clarifying question, "What makes you think that?" I queried.

I'm so glad I asked.

Apparently Little E had been reading a book for over an hour, and every time this little friend called his name or tried to get his attention, he hadn't paid any attention or removed his nose from his book.  This little guy looked at me with deep concern, "He can spend so much time on one thing and not pay any attention to me... I think he might have ADHD."

Thankfully the other kids around took over the situation and proceeded to give examples of children who really had been diagnosed with ADHD, and to describe the symptomatic behaviors.  I just laughed my head off.






2 comments:

Jenny said...

Funny! Sounds like Little E has the exact opposite of ADHD. Focused determination to complete an engaging task.

Scott and Tisha said...

Thant is too funny, love what he thought ADHD was, it would almost be desired if that was the result- funny what kids think and say!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...