Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Kindergarten Closes


It wasn't until I overheard Mr. T absently telling his big sister about how he did his math with M&Ms that I realized he may be in for a few surprises at "real" school next year. I hope he gets to write in a nature notebook or journal of some sort daily - and I hope he gets to do it outside at his leisure. I hope that when he asks his teacher to read just one more chapter, he or she will. And I hope that if all he wants to do is read the ENTIRE book in one sitting, he may get that chance. I hope he continues to love and learn about Greek mythology and the history behind the ancient and early Greeks (he loves Homer's Odyssey). I'm hoping he gets to do science more often than once a week - since I've struggled to keep that side of him entertained. I'm also hoping he continues to read and write about things that interest him, to research in books and online any question or inquiry that pops into his ever-thinking mind. I hope he goes on field-trips often. I hope he is introduced to numerous artists - both of art and music - and that he is given the opportunity to learn about their works and their lives. I hope his teacher loves and appreciates him and smiles everyday, in fact I hope they share laughs and belly-aches over the fun that comes with learning. I hope he gets to create in every way imaginable. I hope he will be told he can do anything in the world and become whatever he sets his mind to. I hope putting him in public school is the right thing to do.



6 comments:

MOM said...

I too will hope for a motivating learning experience in the fall for your special boy. You have been an AMAZING teacher!! Good to know that he has had such a positive start to his education. You have given him a love for learning that will stay with him forever. How blessed he is to live in a home that encourages curosity, being an individual and has parents that set a great example of daily learning. No matter what happens in the public school setting--he'll continue to grow and blossom with your nurturing!

Dee Dee Bowman said...

Those are the hopes we all have for our children. I really wish they were obtainable but as you know from Miss J's experiences in public school unfortunately it's not.

joy said...

I look forward to hearing how next year shapes up. I'm sure it will be different but I think it will be good too. And he is lucky that he will still have you at home nurturing his curiosity as his world expands.

singin'mama said...

You are exactly the kind of teacher I wished I could be to my boys! Whatever you choose is personal to you. But I guarantee that he'll get higher quality at home from you than anywhere else. Just a thought...

Mamabug said...

Good job to you this year for homeschooling him. I don't think all your hopes will be accommodated but at least you know you can always pull him out if things are going well. Good luck to him next year!

Brooke said...

you are such a good mom! You will make the right decision! And make up for what is lacking!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...