Thursday, July 08, 2010

Summer Smiles

Summer seems to be flying by... and while the winters are long, the summers here really are divine. I'm glad. A short reprieve is needed.

My kids are fun ages, and I've been enjoying them being home, the comings and goings of friends, the more advanced games and play, and the fun conversations. I've found myself smiling a lot as I listen to them. I like having my chicks gathered round.

So here's a small list of things I want to remember that have made me smile this summer:

*our car cds have been Mamma Mia and Indigo girls (per my choice) and I love that the kids know every word and belt out these songs whether they are playing or not

*Harry Potter Camp, and how the kids were disappointed that it wasn't at a "real" castle, they didn't get "real" wands, their quiddtich brooms didn't "really" fly and the sorting hat didn't "really" talk - they had high expectations (with great imaginations) but still had a great time


*our weekly hikes: watching my kids be great explorers in the serious wilderness, watching their friendships (and even Miss J's crush) blossom with our hiking buddies


*putting sunscreen on my kids faces over and over - I love looking at their sweet faces but also enjoy seeing them grimace at the cold lotion
*quiet time: a few still read out loud when they read to themselves, and I love that

*the accomplishment my kids feel when they make breakfast (almost) all by themselves

*taking family bike rides

*the accessories and weapons my kids don, not to mention their oufits

*sleepy afternoons but late late nights with time to read and cuddle and falling asleep in random locations

I'm sure there will be many more smiles to come.

2 comments:

MOM said...

I so remember 'memory making' summers--the BEST!! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy this wonderful time!

Laura said...

Love it! They are at great ages. It gives me hope for my future...
;-)

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...