Wednesday, June 23, 2010

More Sunscreen Stuff

Today we went shopping for a new rash guard for my little guy who is sporting a nice little sunburn in the section where his belly popped out between his swim suit and rash guard at the splash pad. Poor guy. What kind of mom tries to get three summers out of a 12 month size rash guard?



At any rate, we are also needing to buy some more sunscreen and before I rush out to buy my same trusted brand, I did some more research.

Remember these posts from before?
What are the odds?
Search for Sunscreen

This is typically my June 22nd obsession - but I'm a day late this year!

My sunscreen of choice is no longer. And I stand corrected. And since I know a few of you followed suit in making No-Ad your sunscreen, I want to explain why I'm changing.

Apparently more studies have been done which show increasingly harmful effects of two of the ingredients found in my sunscreen:
Vitamin A, which is found in most lotions and creams, has been found in recent studies to speed the development of cancer when combined with sun exposure. Definitely NOT something you want in your sunscreen.

Oxybenzone has been cautioned against being used on children for its ability to significantly penetrate the skin, causing allergic reactions and the potential for hormone disruption.

Again, this site is incredibly helpful. I'm heading to the store again to find a sunscreen that meets my strict UVA/UVB protection code, excludes both Vitamin A and Oxybenzone, and also doesn't have zinc oxide - since we have allergies. I also bought myself my first old lady wide-brimmed hat, and will be looking for an umbrella for us to tote around too. Less sun exposure and less need for chemicals or minerals being absorbed into our skin. Since, after reading a bunch of studies, I'm starting to feel like the sun isn't as bad as its supposed screeners.

2 comments:

Anne Marie said...

I'm right there with you...shopping around for the safest, most effective, but not widely outrageously expensive sunscreen. Too bad you have problems with the zinc oxide because that is in so many of the good ones. Good luck!

Kristy said...

Can't wait to hear the final result ... I have stuck with No-Ad since your recommendation!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...