Monday, October 19, 2009

Mawage

(you have to know "Princess Bride" to get that title... it can't be explained, sorry)

We had a whirlwind weekend, and my mind and washing machine are still spinning.

We drove through the twisty mountains, thank heavens for very beautiful weather, as the view and the turns provided enough for a breath-taking experience. It was fun to show my family where I lived and went to school my freshman year of university in western Canada. We stayed with my sister and enjoyed a delicious (belated) Canadian Thanksgiving feast, lots of Wii time, and good company. The cousins were hilarious together.
And we were able to attend my cousin's wedding. Always a pleasure to see young lovers vow to keep their love strong, enduring, and eternal.

Seeing Oma was a treat, as the occasions to do so seem to be more infrequent. She is beautiful - inside and out. I wondered how someone, who had been married for almost 50 years and then lost her beloved, felt watching her granddaughter so young and in love start a legacy of love of her own. Did she ache for her eternal love? Did she remember her special day? Did she quietly recall the moments and memories that make up a lasting marriage?
I couldn't help but think back to my own wedding of course. With many hours spent in a vehicle with Mr. Man, and even some moments all alone (praise Uncle Scott), we had a chance to re-evaluate our marriage, our love, and our life together. I think I have a wonderful marriage. We've worked hard to have that. Lately it's been a lot of bliss. Which is nice and comfortable. And so it's time to think about what we can work on to make it even better. I mean, can you imagine "better"? It's been almost ten years. Gasp. When I picture a bride, I picture myself less and less and am thinking much more forwardly - like when my own daughter will be the bride. Heaven forbid she be less than 25.

I took lots of pictures but the one that touched me the most was this one:

In between shots (by the professional photographer) my Aunt grasped her daughter lovingly, while my Uncle gazed at her adoringly. You can just feel the love. I want that picture (but with Mr. Man, Miss J and myself) on my wall. I want that picture in my life. I want to love like that and be loved in return, but still be able to let go.

Another thing that hit me, was that some day our kids won't be such a HUGE part of my life. I mean really, you do "give them away" in a very literal sense. One day the family picture hanging on my wall will look like this (perhaps a little more wrinkly, though I promise to maintain the blonde!)

Another reason to make my mawage a very large focus in my life.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I love this post! Isn't it strange to think our little ones will be there someday? Each milestone reminds me they are on a path. It's wonderful to imagine their path will lead to such a beautiful, happy day! And you are right,
"Wuv, twue wuv, bwings us togevor!"
What you have with Mr. Man is "twue wuv."

Jennifer said...

it is strange that everything we are working towards is preparing the kids to be gone and that they actually will live away from us longer than they ever lived with us :)

Love your pictures :)

Mamabug said...

It is strange to imagine life as just me and hubby ... that seems to be very distant picture. All the more reason to find a way to strength us today! Thanks for the reflection.

Laura said...

By the time #4 leaves the nest, I imagine #1 is going to start having babies and needing my help. I don't know that I'll get much of a mothering break, which is okay with me. Although, being an empty-nester seems pretty cool. I imagine teaching again, eating out a lot at "grown-up" restaurants, traveling, and frequent, spontaneous sex (TMI?). I wonder if the reality is as nice as it seems! LOL!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...