Friday, October 09, 2009

Another thing I hate about moving...

I spent the better part of my day yesterday trying to procure doctors for myself and my children. I did so after doing a lot of research - both in asking EVERYBODY I know and meet about their doctors. Not just who their doctors are but what they are like specifically. I looked for trends in referrals and specifics as well. Then I went online and found out all I could about every doctor my insurance company had put on "the list". I put an x beside any doctor I felt would absolutely NOT be a good fit and a star beside the best. The rest, I figured, were as good as doctors come and would be the next options should the starred not be available. I wasn't so interested in "promptness" - I mean there are two waiting rooms for a reason - and even "bedside manner" wasn't as important to me as "proper diagnosis". And years of experience was important too - I don't want a newbie (sorry new docs) and I don't want someone who is going to retire next year and force me into this same predicament. I also looked into their education and residency experience. I know... this is a lot. (I am especially interested in having a good pediatrician for my one son's health issues.) So then I got on the phone and listened to all sorts of music and medical tidbits while waiting and waiting and waiting to try to set up appointments with my starred doctors. Contrary to my insurance company's list and to my great disappointment, starred doctor after starred doctor was not accepting new patients. The offices were pleasant enough, and offered some of my doctors with an x beside them as alternatives. I denied them that pleasure and told them I would try again for a better different doctor. The story goes that these doctors only accept so many new patients, plus I have to set my kids up for an initial "meet the doctor" appointment (see dollar signs) so that if they were to get sick they could make an immediate appointment versus now we have to wait over a month to get in as a new patient. I have one child in with one doctor and I'm calling back today to try to get three more. For a doctor for myself, I may be on a wait list for an eternity. I don't know how many doctors are no longer accepting new patients (some don't even have wait lists). I am no longer even trying for star doctors. I have one who may be willing to take me on, but will have to call me back... when, I don't know. One secretary, after giving me the whole "we're not really accepting new patients" speech, sent me over the edge. I countered with "Well no doctor in this whole town is accepting new patients, so what exactly do you suggest I do?" She calmly replied that this was obviously a sign that this town needs more doctors. My call to action. I guess my next step is to simply get a medical degree and become my own doctor. Sheesh.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

That is just crazy! I have never encountered a doctor that does not accept new patients!! The really bad thing about MT and WY is having to drive for good medical care. My sister in WY has to drive to Billings for her daughter's special needs care. Annoying!

Maybe the delay will lead you to find the perfect doctor for your son in a very round about, stressful way. Who knows!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

That is insane. When I first moved to the middle of no where as a pregnant woman it took me two months to find a doctor that would see me. By the time I did finally get an appt, I was already 15 weeks along.

Then when I moved again to the other middle of no where there was only one pediatrician. Luckily she was accepting new patients. After I learned how to decode her accent we became good friends since I was in her office almost every two weeks on the dot.

I really hope you can find someone soon. That really just seems crazy. Have you spoken to the mayor?

I love your post entitled BFF. You certainly have a way with words.

Laura said...

How irritating. Every time I move, that seems to be the biggest headache. I switched to a family practitioner for all of us when Anneka was born. It's nice to go one place for everybody. On the downside, he doesn't get all of the freebies pediatricians get, and isn't always up on the latest news. On the plus side, I don't have to sit in a waiting room filled with horribly sick kids and their diseased toys. Most of the people in my waiting room are old people needing a prescription refill! Our doctor is always happy to see us and spend a little more time, because he likes to see little kids during his day.

Laura said...

Of course you can't find a pediatrician, all the doctors in a ski town are orthopedic surgeons or neurologists! J/K Is there a med center associated with the university like KUMED or UMKCMED?

Jeff and Kylie said...

In Kansas I was one of the lucky patients whose doctors were no longer taking new patients because they were so great. And I always felt bad when new people moved in and tried to go to them and they couldn't. Now I am that new person who can't go to the great doctors because they are no longer taking new patients. I did find a great pediatrician and OB in practices that were highly recommended. I had to get used to their offices, I came from fancy state of the art offices and here they are UGLY and OLD. So I just tell myself when I'm waiting that's it's about the doctor! I am however having A LOT of trouble finding a good dentist and since you only go twice a year it makes it difficult to try out new ones.

Carla said...

I commiserate! That is the absolute worst part of moving. It's SO hard to gather a team of good doctors... or even one good doctor. The good ones are almost always totally booked!

Jennifer said...

oh I feel your pain...the whole doctor thing and all their rules and busy signals.....all yucky :)

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...