Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Good Word?

I've been a complete slacker lately when it comes to reading my scriptures. It seems I go through phases: some where I read and study religiously (meaning daily) and others where, well, I don't. We are still having our family morning devotional, and I usually put in a good half hour every night preparing for that, and so I've sort of made that my fall-back for not doing my own reading. But in the back of my mind I know it's a poor excuse.

When I had consistant nappers, that was always the first thing I would do when they went down. I'm not a morning person, so that could never work out for me. And I'm usually too tuckered at bedtime to really feel like I get something out of it - though when I do read before bed at least it's something. I prefer a mid-day approach so that I can be alert, pull out other sources if I so choose and have a bit of an uplift to help me through the rest of the day. Summer seems to be even less compatible with scripture-reading time because everyone is home all day long and there are more hours spent out of doors. Perhaps I should try reading while I watch the kids on the slip and slide?

I was remembering a friend from when we did our masters' degree. At the time I had one, maybe two, kids and I think she had six. She shared how she had everyone have a scripture reading time in the middle of the day (it was summer break for them also) and each person retired to their rooms to read their scriptures (or the younger ones would look at picture scripture books). It was such a great experience for her and her children. I was thinking what a great middle of the day reprieve that must be and what a good example to her children of having a priority and also knowing that Mom is reading her scriptures at the same time as everyone else - that we all need spiritual nourishment and the knowledge found in the good word of God. I'm thinking we may try this approach this week... but I would love to hear any of your tried and true (or even tried) techniques for sneaking in a little solo scripture reading in the midst of mothering. I need some scripture power!

6 comments:

MOM said...

You are so right--as a busy Mom you need a spiritual boost each day and yet I recall how very difficult that is to do with so many busy children needing your attention. As you know I'm a morning person so getting up before the children, worked for me and yet I did feel badly that you children did not see my example. I love the idea of everyone taking a mid-day spiritual break--wish I had thought of this idea.

The Wilsons said...

Well, I have no good suggestions for you--right now my study is particularly weak as it usually consists of some short reading when I'm super-tired right before bed! :( But I did have to thank you for the mid-day, everyone-participating idea. We will have family in town for the next week (so our schedule will be off), but after that, I am going to try this with my kids. I think we will each benefit from having such a time!! Thanks for passing along the idea.

Laura said...

Thanks for the idea! I can't do it first thing either. My brain doesn't work for the first hour of the day.

My Many Coloured Days said...

So far so good. We call it our SCRIPTURE POWER time and are even recording in a notebook what we each read and what we have learned/shared together. The fun thing is, after we have our power time (20-30mins) and I set them free, they will often continue to read/look at scriptures. A lesson definitely learned. Now to figure it all out again when they start school in the fall.

Tony said...

Even this little convert struggles with it, though I have less to do with my 17 year old life so I have myself to blame.

Ipod, listening on cd in the car maybe?

Anne Marie said...

Your house looks gorgeous! I do love the entry way and the wood floors. Very impressed by the idea of middle of the day scripture reading. I just try to fit my scripture reading in here and there...grab a few minutes when I can. But, you are far more organized than I am!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...