Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hurt my pride... but still prejudiced

We went more than a week without phone, internet or cable. The phone and internet were a definite loss, but we only have basic cable and only because it was part of the package and not because we really watch much tv. So when the cable guy came to fix the internal and external problems and Mr. Man complained about us having to pay for a whole months worth of service that we didn't receive all of, the news that they would compensate us with a cable box and an upgraded cable package didn't bring too much excitement. However, during a rainy day moment I browsed the hundreds of channels and stopped at the Cartoon Network for the kids to watch a Clone Wars episode and suddenly became cool mom of the century. Last night I was completely worn out and sat down to veg in front of our newly acquired television options. So many options and still I felt like there was nothing on. I couldn't believe some of the shows that are still playing, honestly, does anybody watch some of these? I amused myself with The Bachelorette for a bit, and then turned to Desperate Housewives (of which I have never actually watched a full episode) and couldn't believe how horrible the acting was, how much like a soap opera, and yet how much it was making me giggle. Finally I settled on a movie: Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightley. Oh how my heart feels happy when I am in the presence of anything Jane Austen. It was lovely. It's been a long time since I've seen this version and yet I found myself getting irritated with the constancy of commercials, and could see how easy it would be for me to want to go from cable to TiVo or DVR or whatever it may be called now. (Though I should really just put the movie on hold at the library for free!) The movie was just getting to the best part, when Lizzie realizes her feelings for Mr. Darcy while visiting Pemberly, when Mr. Man took control of the remote and I struggled not to be completely disappointed - though I did bring it up.


It seems Mr. Man couldn't tell the difference between any of the three shows I had perused. He thought they were all identical, each having some girl falling in love after only minutes of meeting or just eyeing some guy. He thought The Bachelorette was just some modern day Pride and Prejudice. I was appalled. And hurt. I was just toying with the first two shows, but sincerely love the third. But is it really as shallow as he was making it out to be? Personally I don't think so... but I'd like to leave it open to all you Jane Austen fans and also those that aren't...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They all three are about a bunch of individuals who forgot about 'reality'. That is, those silly things like 'work' and supporting a roof over one's head. All about love and nothing about what truly goes on in life: work!

Mr. Man

Debbi said...

Oh, Mr. Man. You're such a stick in the mud. :) Lucky she loves you! lol

I can't stand the bachelorette/bachelor series anymore. I got sucked in at the beginning, but I have since figured that reality TV is anything BUT reality... having experienced it myself to know.

And Desperate Housewives is drivel. I LOVE MY DRIVEL, but it's just that. Mindles and silly and I don't have to think about anything 'reality' while I watch some HORRIBLE acting and stupid soapy storylines.

And Jane Austen. It's still fiction, yes, but it IS classic fiction.


But, Mr. Man, "what truly goes on in life" is much much much more than "work". Love SHOULD be more the reality than work is.

My Many Coloured Days said...

Praise Debbi.

Laura said...

I agree, no comparison.

Carla said...

I don't remember the details of Pride and Prejudice, but that does bug me about most chick flicks. Either they start out hating each other or they fall in love upon meeting. How's that believable??! And the Bachelorette? They're SO in love and SO devastated when they get sent packing. What?! He's dating 20 other people at the same time! Never watched the other one. In reality,

LOVE IS WORK,

except at the beginning. That's why I still like chick flicks; because it reminds me about how fun and easy it used to be, when all you can think about is your giddy love interest.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...