Tuesday, May 05, 2009

My Second Job

I really do consider taking on homeschooling this year like taking on a second job. I have had to put in more hours (of what free time my first job as a "mother" offers), and I've learned a lot about myself, my son, teaching and have even grown in some of my lesser-strength subjects, such as history. Depending on the day, or the week, I will tell you I love homeschooling or I will tell you that I will never do it again and my son would be better off in a classroom. Because I am an admitted perfectionist, I have a hard time not meeting all of our learning goals, or taking off a few days last week when everyone was sick and I had no sub to call in. I always think I could be doing this "homeschooling" thing better... not quite sure that I'm giving my best or providing my son with what he deserves. Worried, at other times, that my other children are neglected when I focus on the one whose learning I am entirely responsible for. At the same time, I have included the others in more learning than ever before, and we've all shared a lot of new experiences together because of this new occupation I undertook.

I do think that I am starting to experience "teaching" burn-out. After ten long months I suppose that's to be expected. I hold those who homeschool for years on a pedestal, and those who homeschool multiple children even higher - and if you have a toddler screaming for attention and destroying your home, you are an angel. I comfort myself with thinking that every teacher everywhere is now counting down the days until summer break. And yes, there will be a definite summer break in this house!

Don't get me wrong, it has been a wonderful experience that I truly wouldn't give up. Change, maybe, improve upon, perhaps... but I wouldn't give it up. I have found such joy in watching my son learn, and knowing that I helped. Nobody else has a greater influence on a child than a loving teacher, and I was able to dedicate this school year to being that for him. We have laughed so much together and really gotten to know each other better as well. I have so many thoughts about this year in review: it's been hard work, but worthwhile.

This is also the last year that I will have three children at home all the time! Next year we are excited for a fabulous new school system and are thrilled with Mr. T's health, and so our three eldest will be going to school while I am home all day with "the toddler". Should be fun!

I think I need a raise.

3 comments:

Amy said...

It wasn't until I became a teacher that I realized that students weren't the only ones who crossed off the days on their calendar that lead them to summer break!

I think it is awesome that you did homeschooling. It is something that I seriously considered, but ended up not doing - good work friend (i just realized that I shouldn't use your name:) You do need a raise . . . what will you do with only one child at home?

Jedda said...

Amen to the hard work. Amen to the pay raise. Good job-he was lucky to have a smart and dedicated mama!

Dee Dee Bowman said...

If you ever doubt the fabulous job you did just compare it to what our girls learned during their Kindergarten year. Who do you think learned more? I can almost guarantee that it was Mr. T.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...