Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Nesting

I’m not quite sure when my fascination with birds began. For as long as I can remember, my father was an avid bird watcher, and when Oma visited us several summers ago I watched her enjoyment of the variety and quantity of birds in our backyard area. She taught me several of their calls and I can still hear “pretty birdie” from the self-absorbed cardinals. I love it. I’m becoming infatuated with all of our birds… though I have yet to pick up a book or begin a study that I know will fill hours of future quiet time (once the kids have grown up!) Right now, the fascination is watching the gathering of materials for nest-making, and even the nest-making itself.

Our backyard seems to contain wonderful nooks and crannies for nesting. Unfortunately, many of them are not safe (from little hands) nor will they remain after we make our grand exodus. Last spring some birds found their way into our shed and made a nest in a stored potty and another in the Christmas tree stand. So far this year, we’ve had to remove nest-in-the-makings from a camping chair, our recycling bin, and a croc that was left out back. I’m just waiting to see one in the diaper champ hole right outside our back door! Our water table has to be cleaned out and re-filled for The Toddler frequently, because I can’t make myself scare off the birds who wait in line for their turn in their self-appointed bird bath early every morning. Their songs are rejuvenating and watching their flights and fights inspiring. I just feel badly each time we have to remove twigs, grass and other odds and ends from a poor location and then watch them frantically searching for their chosen location and future home… now gone.

Our real estate agent says that it’s all about location and square footage… most everything else can be altered or improved upon. Moving your home, a more difficult task. As we work on our search for the right location to raise our family and build our nest, it can be frustrating to have someone tell you what appears to be a desirable home is just in a horrible neighborhood. Searching for the right location is obviously a talent and an important part of relocation. Yet it’s an exciting time as we gather all the little bits of useful tools and information that will help in the decision-making of our first home. Important also, because I don’t want to have to start this whole process all over again and have to move: a lesson from the birds.

4 comments:

Camille said...

Dad, would be proud!

Laura said...

Birds nested in our grill over and over--even when we moved it to a different house!! Good luck with your own nesting!

Shawny said...

Once you get there, you will know. Trust me!

lani said...

It's so overwhelming at times, but such a fun process. And don't be afraid to rent something temporary if you don't find the right house at first. Better than moving in, getting settled and then having regrets. We bought a home after our 5 day home finding trip here, and now have discovered so many great areas that we would have loved to be in, but didn't know about yet. Take your time, but when you know it's right--trust your feeling! I'm so excited for you!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...