Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Finding His Wings

My little boy just got back from his Five Year Old Trip: a trip each of my kids are spoiled with by a very special Grandma. Mr. T had his surgery shortly after his fifth birthday, and so we had put off his trip till after his recovery. He has more than recovered, but Grandma thought it may be best to wait until little brother turned five and do both of them together (since Little E is such a homebody, we weren't sure we could get him to go without his brother). With Mr. T's birthday approaching, his Five Year Old Trip was all he could talk about. And he wanted it ALL BY HIMSELF... which is really the purpose of said trip anyways. Mr. Man has several upcoming business trips to the "Grandma" area, and so I suggested they fly together and just get this special trip in before he's a six year old. For once I was heeded, and the trip took place. Of course I have no pictures of the great adventures his trip entailed: from build-a-bear to building with legos all day long... but Mr. Man did capture the plane adventure (which is ALL Mr. T can talk about now and is also why we are having an impromptu space theme at our house!)

Needless to say, he was scared... as he is extremely afraid of heights.

Nervous, just waiting for the airport shuttle.
Look at his hands... so scared. There goes his cute little suitcase.
That face! Oh... an now they've stripped him clean too!
Not so worried anymore!
Army gummies can definitely make any day.
"Here's my ticket and passport, I'll keep the gummies."
A NICE window seat. (Later he will be thrilled at flying and love seeing the cars looking like match cars, the itty bitty houses and flying above the clouds!)
The co-pilot let him up into the cockpit. My little guy can ramble on forever about everything he saw up there. "There are buttons anywhere and everywhere... on the ceiling, on the floor... and there are maps too, computer maps... and a steering wheel.............."
Enjoying the ride after all.
***Memory: My first flight was when I was 17 and went on a trip with a friend. I was soooooo nervous as well. And when I got off the flight I was waiting for my legs to feel like jello and was surprised they felt like sturdy land legs... as that's what I thought "jet leg" was!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So pleased you have these photos for the future--special memories!! So glad that you too have memories of your first flight--do you recall your many visits to the restroom prior to boarding, not knowing that the plane came equipped with one.

Mamabug said...

Wow - those seats look comfortable - was that really leather? What a great trip to spend with his Grandparents. Good job to him on braving the airplane.

Scott and Tisha said...

what a fun idea- Father and son trip. The pictures are awesome.

Stephanie said...

What a fun trip for your little guy! That sounds like a fun idea also. Brayden took his first trip without us just last summer when he went to Idaho for a month and he can't wait to do it again. :)

Laura said...

My first airplane trip was as a teen, too. Our kids are such seasoned travelers now!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...