Saturday, March 07, 2009

Man Crush

I don't recall how old I was (maybe 6?), but I do remember quite clearly that he was tall, dark and handsome. My first crush was easily 25-30 years my senior, and also happened to be married to my Mom's good friend (which was such heartbreaking news at my tender age). When my parents took the week long trek to Washington DC to spend some alone time together and worship in our temple there, I got to stay at his house. We took walks together after dinner, with his whole family of course... his children trailing behind on bikes. I felt spoiled when he was called to be in the bishopric and sat up front for me to gaze at during our church worship service. It was a wonderful dream and a beautiful first crush. I had him MC at my wedding reception, just to make the irony of it all complete.

My second crush was, thankfully, only a few years older than me... and was occasionally our babysitter and also my best friend's big brother. I spent hours at his home (hanging out with my best friend playing barbies). Sleepovers were safe and trendy back then and I would awake many a morning to eat breakfast with him at the table (that, I believe seated 12!) At any rate, one morning I descended to hear my best friend telling her brother how much I loved him. I blushed at least six shades of red and then rebutted, "Of course I love him. It's a commandment to love everyone." Thank heavens for religious indoctrination. I wrote or carved (I can't quite remember) I LOVE JEREMY on the wall by our basement railing, and after we moved out and friends moved in to our old home, I again had my crush thrown in my face.

And yet we can't stop teasing our eight year old daughter about her little crushes. It's so cute and yet so funny. There's the boy from school who moved away months ago that she still writes I HEART about... and then there are the two boys in primary that she can't stop looking at (and it's obvious, since they sit right behind her). And more recently there is the MAN CRUSH. This one I haven't confronted her on, it's just too sweet and sincere. And.... I remember. He too is tall, dark and handsome, and when he subbed for her primary class she couldn't stop staring at him. When he moved over to interrupt a squabble, she scooted next to him. When he laughed, she laughed. And she was acting so mature, trying so hard... a few of us observing were in awe at the transparency of her crush.

Romantic that I am, I still can't get over that I really truly got to marry my favourite crush of all time. The boy I fell in love with when I was only ten years old. The little boy who kicked my chair in primary and then flooded my dreams and desires for years. The boy I composed songs about, the boy I dreamed of while shelf-reading for hours on end at my library job - dreaming that he would appear and end the monotony. The boy who I fell hopelessly in love with while writing him on his mission and only hoped and prayed that he would feel the same. For some incomprehensible reason, he did. And I am eternally grateful. I feel so spoiled to still have such a great crush on such a great man.

4 comments:

Debbi said...

awww love this post! Crushes are wonderful!

Jennifer said...

It is amazingly fun to observe those crushes, huh? :) I will never forget how amazed I was the first time I heard you and Mr Man's "story."

Laura said...

So sweet! Mr. Man is lucky to have such a romantic wife!

Brooke said...

that is so incredibly sweet! You're making me sick ;)

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...