Friday, April 18, 2008

Compulsive Liar

I may have mentioned this before, but my husband has a problem. When he is sleeping he is a compulsive liar. He will say absolutely anything to try to get out of doing whatever it may be that would force him to awaken completely. His mother has absolute horror stories about early morning seminary, but I’ve compiled quite a few of my own since being married to him. The baby’s diaper is always already changed, the puke-covered sheets, yeah, he did that too without moving a muscle. The kids have learned to ask him questions while he is sleeping, “yes, you can watch Star Wars, sure take my credit card…” It’s quite a dangerous foible if you ask me. When there have been tornado sirens, I will get the kids downstairs while he lies through his sleep that “those aren’t sirens, it’s just the train.” Last night was even worse. I awoke to the house shaking and shook him awake too. “What is that?” I practically yelled. “Shhhh, be quiet, it’s just the rain, go back to sleep.” I told him it was lasting too long and I was getting worried, maybe we should check the news or go downstairs and look outside. His response, “Rain takes a while. Go back to sleep.” Exhausted, I obeyed. Apparently it is catching. Our daughter then entered our room scared that there was an earthquake. I gave her a hug, told her “I thought so too, but Daddy says it’s just the rain, so go back to sleep.” We awoke this morning only to find out there was indeed an earthquake. I think my husband may need therapy for this.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my defense, this is much better then my overreactions. When we first moved in, the sound of the nearby train track sounded like the Polar Express coming through the front door in stereo. In an effort to save me (and my family), I ran down the stairs to look out the front door to estimate how long til impact, and tripped coming down the stairs, breaking my toe and gashing my legs. Needless to say, for my own safety, its best I stay in bed asleep!

I will leave to a minimum last month when I ran out of my hotel room half asleep in my underwear thinking the hotel room was caving in.

Mr. Man

Anne Marie said...

This is hilarious. I can't believe there really was an earthquake. Crazy stuff.

Topher said...

I laughed so hard at "Rain takes a while." That's one funny guy.

KVB said...

I'm also guilty of talking in my sleep. My problem is that I appear to be wide awake (so I'm told) and I will discuss a whole days plan. Hope and I have had whole conversations that I never knew I was having.

Stephanie said...

This was so funny, sleep is just so precious to Mr. Man. :) My Mr. Man always asks me questions in the night, but they come out like statments. I love the earthquake scene and helping your kids understand that it was just rain. You guys are awesome! :)

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...