Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Best Things in Life Are Not Things

May is a hard time for me. Every year it comes and goes and I always seem to lose at least one good friend in the process. May mean graduation, and slowly, everyone else is while we stay strong and carry on. This year it seems to have hit hard, and I find myself feeling a bit low thinking about my life without certain someones in it. Someones who have made such an impact in my life. It is hard to say goodbye.

We took a walk today around our neighborhood and I couldn’t help but pointing out to my kids all the homes where our old (graduated) friends used to live. The memories and stories flooded back and my kids were excited as we talked of them. And I realized that while they were gone, they still lived on. I know it sounds morbid, but really I’ve learned a lot about friendships over the years as we’ve moved so much, and have taken a part of each close friend with me. It may be a recipe, a healthier habit, a decorating tip, a parenting technique or even a shared inside joke, but mostly it is that bond that keeps a friendship strong that I remember and hold onto. Those gifts are worth so much to me, and while I may forget your birthday and be horrible at keeping in touch, know that you are thought of often and some of my children’s favourite stories involve some of my long-lost friends of lives past.

And so, as I come to terms with the impending graduation that will take several of you away from me, know that I’m happy for you and forever grateful to have had you in my life and will forever hold a piece of you in my heart.

Mayday!

8 comments:

Shawny said...

So true. This time of year is definitely a huge transition and it does not come without some emotion. I too will have so many fond memories of those who are leaving, no matter how small the memory. It's amazing how people can touch your life without even knowing.

Jennifer said...

It is truly amazing to think of all the people that affect our lives and help make us who we are.

Camie said...

You see?? Now you have a great new quote and some thoughts on how to be a 'sponge' and absorb things from everyone around you! I'm happy to leave my mark, and believe me, you have left yours. Now I'll be the one calling you when I move!!

Stephanie said...

This is so true and I feel the same way, not necessarily about losing friends to graduation anymore, but to all the friends we've moved away from or who have moved away from us. I still get confused about who I knew at BYUH as a single student or as a married student, but nonetheless, I still consider them friends and I feel like I have great memories of everyone.

Anne Marie said...

This is really such a sweet reflection on friendships. I am grateful for blogs that help me feel a little connection to people who have moved away.

Lori said...

I know how you feel. Living in a college town, it seems that no one really sticks around like you hope they will. We even share in the sadness of losing one of the same people- Miss Camie. Bittersweet isn't it? Thank goodness for email, phones and blogging.

Laurie said...

When we were in school, graduation was the hardest time for me. I knew I was saying goodbye for probably forever and I was sad. But like you said, they stay in your heart and change you life for the better so it was worth the time together. Soon it will be your turn. Hang in there!

Brooke said...

Right back at cha! I feel the very same way. Interesting array of short and long term friendships weaving in and out of our lives that end up making the fantastic work of art that we become in the end! You have been and continue to be a brilliant strand. ;)

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...