Thursday, April 10, 2008

Inevitable

I woke up this morning with the gut feeling that we would be going to the ER today.

I have two extra kids under my wing today while our good friends are house hunting in another state. I question my motive in helping them move away from us, but still, we have our “cousins” with us for now! With that gut wrenching feeling, I was a little more mother-hennish than usual. The typical running and chasing around the circular area was forbidden, the bikes were out of commission for the walk to school, and overall I was being severely extra cautious. Since I had that ER trip in the back of my mind, I couldn’t help but realize I couldn’t even fit all 6 kids and cars eats in my van if I needed to. So it was with a bit of trepidation that we made the trek to school. We were quite the circus act, I with the front carrier holding the baby, and pulling a wagon with two little boys, another one at my feet constantly getting in the wagon’s way and two little girls with their hair done the same skipping away in front. I called them back and begged them to neither run, skip nor jump. “Why?” they wanted to know. I replied that I didn’t want to go to the hospital today, and if we all just walk nobody would get hurt. It was only moments later that Miss Lydia WALKED right into the gate. It was inevitable.

With an onslaught of cars dropping off their kids for school as an audience, I used the famous burp rag to hold on her head and attempt to stop the bleeding. Then I gathered, pleaded and prodded the five kids I had left home so that we could figure out how to go get stitches.
From experience I full well know that the less people you bring for what may turn into a small surgical procedure the better. So I left two boys, instead of one, at my friend’s for Joy School, and another boy with the other Joy School mom. Thank goodness for great friends who are willing to bend their day to whatever circumstance may ensue. Then I met the speech therapist who had just shown up at our home and begged her forgiveness as I grabbed a diaper bag and got the baby and the victim into the van.

With no insurance cards, I stopped off at my pediatricians and demanded to be treated. They were wonderful, and thankfully, though they admitted it was quite large, they were able to glue Miss Lydia’s head back together again – no stitches needed. The irony of it, is that she had a similar procedure take place (on her head) when she was on her way to my house months ago. So apparently I’m bad luck! With a stop at McDonalds for some fruit parfaits on the way home and picking up all the other kids, we are home for the day and that feeling of dread is gone from my gut. The inevitable is done. Though I suppose there’s still school pickup!


"The Trooper" - For Mom & Dad:

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh dear!! We all understand days like those. Thank goodness for friends that all help it turn out when we have no idea how it ever could.

Lori Garcia said...

It shows that you really listen to the spirit and its premonition. I'm proud of you....now go take a nap!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I left to go to school this morning and not hung around the house to end up hurt at the hospital.

It always feels worse when other people's children are hurt under one's own care.

Mr. Man

Lori said...

Yikes. Experience pays off I guess. I'm sure Matt & Camie are happy their kids are in your hands and trust that you know what to do in these types of situations.

Lori said...

Btw - your live blog feed is cool - but makes me nervous since it gives away where people live. Hmmm.

singin'mama said...

You are a brave woman! Looks like Lydia survived just fine. Oh, and I thought it was funny when I tried to log onto your blog and a warning sign popped up saying that "the content of this blog may be questionable". I thought, "they have no idea!".

Shawny said...

I also got the "questionable blog content warning" and thought to myself, "Oh no, what has MMCD posted now? This has got to be interesting!" :)

Camie said...

You are a lifesaver! And thank you for the picture--I'm glad it's closer to her hairline, not right above her eyes. This watching our kids for a day ended up being much more than you bargained for!!

Stephanie said...

You've got great mother's intuition. It's good that you had prepared yourself for an ER visit...it probably helped you keep cool under all the crazy circumstances! Congrats on making it through the day with 6 little ones! :)

Anne Marie said...

So sorry. Glad everything has turned out okay. You are definitely a great friend.

Rachel said...

Oh Renee, I have missed so much! When you took your little blog break, I stopped checking, and then life got hectic, and well, you know...you've got four wee ones, too!

Your weight gain one cracks me up!I think we can all relate. Although my stomach recovered (I used to never workout and now go 6 times a week), my chest is going to REQUIRE some reconstructive surgery in the near future! Argh! For that reason alone, I dread the horrors of swimsuit season!

Lydia is so beautiful, head gash or not, and I must say, you handled it beautifully, too!

Hoosier Mama said...

oh my goodness - way to come out of this still sane! We were watching 3 kids once and took them sledding (duh) and the smallest had a crash and swore his arm was broken - we took him to the insta-care and it turned out nothing was wrong! phew! I now know that feeling of not wanting them to even walk up stairs for fear they will break a leg.

Amy said...

Holy Crap! You woke up knowing you were going to the ER and you went. Do you often see into the future? I'm glad that all ended well.
I miss you too!
Oh, yeah, I gotta talk to you about that FHE board. I'll try to call tomorrow.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...