Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Baby Sleeps

After countless nights of getting close to no sleep, a miracle has happened. Amidst the drippy nose –whether from a cold or teething, getting adjusted to the time change and being back home after our vacation, the baby decided to make last night absolutely wonderful. He was fed at dinner (5pm at our house) and then I was out running errands at bedtime and he went to sleep without nursing. Then, he didn’t awaken for his on-the-clock 10 pm feeding. I waited, thinking that with the time change surely he would be screaming for me at 11pm. Nope. At 11:30 I went to bed with a bit of trepidation, wondering if I should dream-feed him or wait. I decided to wait and fell asleep close to midnight. Around 4am I awoke drenched in my own milk and aching to feed my baby. But I also felt rested. I honestly considered getting up and taking a walk outside, or working on one of my many unfinished projects. Instead I lay there, letting my thoughts wander and reveling in the marvelous sense of well-being that four hours of sleep (in a row!) can do. About 4:18 the baby awoke and relieved me. (Note that he went almost 12 hours without eating!) I was ready to get up with him afterwards, but instead he fell back asleep (his tummy must have been so warm and full) and slept until 7:30am.


I have a huge surplus today (my milk supply doesn’t quite know what is going on), but other than that we are all having just a spectacular day. Truly, when Mom is happy (and rested) everyone is happy.


Ironically, I can’t seem to find any recent picture of Baby J sleeping, maybe now we can get some sleep and some pictures of him sleeping around here!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

So glad you got your 4 hours of sleep. Maybe it is the start of a trend.

Hoosier Mama said...

Yeah for sleep! I love his chubby cheeks - he looks well fed!

Lori said...

Sleep does make a difference. When reading your blog, I never think about how sleep deprived you are! I can't believe how much you do without much uninterrupted sleep! And...you always are great about keep up with your blog and thus, giving us so much good stuff to read. Many more restful sleeps for you I hope.

Michelle said...

he's such a babe. hooray for sleep!

Anne Marie said...

Sleep makes such a huge difference in how a mama feels! What a sweet guy!

Stephanie said...

You colored that picture so well for me it almost makes me miss having a newborn...almost.

lani said...

Yeah!!! I'm so glad you got four consecutive hours! Sleep is the BEST thing in the world! So why am I reading your blog at 11pm?!!! I'm going to bed now :) (enjoy your break from blogging--it's well deserved)

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...