Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Empathy

My heart broke this morning when I was forced to say goodbye to somebody I love. Later I had tears come to my eyes as I watched my son in pain, knowing that with his upcoming surgery he will soon have even more pain. And I wanted to take it all away. I am more than willing. My heart, while broken for the time being, is still able to feel for him, still aching to hold him and comfort him. And then I learned that a friend had lost her baby, and my heart got stuck in my throat. There are no words.

I remember taking a class in seventh grade where we discussed empathy. I remember being confused by the term and even more befuddled by the ability to have such a skill. It was one of those “skills” classes, where teachers spend way too little time hoping to suddenly instill values and life skills in their students. I don’t think it’s a skill. I think it’s a part of being. Empathy can be painful and can awaken emotions within you that you never knew existed. Empathy takes a lifetime to perfect, but it can be startlingly evident on a daily basis.

I always thought the primary song “I Feel My Savior’s Love” meant that I could feel how much He loves me. But today the words found new meaning in my soul as I felt my Savior’s love for so many others around me. I can only pray that they feel it too.

7 comments:

Anne Marie said...

You definitely are a person with a lot of empathy. It is a wonderful gift. I am so sorry that your son has to go through all those trials. Hoping that everything goes well for him.

Laurie said...

Hi Renee, I'm glad that you are back! I have missed your amazing thoughts, like this one. Thanks for sharing and helping remind me of what's important around me. Good luck on your sons surgery. It's hard to watch your child suffer. It always amazes me how much motherhood gives me a small glimpse into the love our Heavenly Father must have for us. You are an amazing person. Thanks for letting me still peek in on your life by keeping your blog open.

Rachel Clare said...

You have an amazing gift with words. Thank you for this post.

Unknown said...

Your reflections and words will be as scripture for your little ones as they grow older.

And as your father I share your aches, your feelings, and send my love to you as you reach out with love for others.

Dad

Camille said...

God bless Tyler and everyone!

Unknown said...

I'll keep you and Mr. T in my prayers. I am sorry that you both have to face such a hardship. I know you'll have angels around you to help you both through this ordeal.

lani said...

I have felt your empathy in my own life--thank you. It is a great gift to help people bear their burdens and to know that a loving Heavenly Father sends people to care about us and help us. I'll be praying for tyler with his surgery.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...