Wednesday, May 05, 2010

In The Midst

I've been all about new and scary (for me) adventures lately.

I met with an advisor, had my health screening, got a new student id, jumped through a bunch of hoops, registered for classes [sigh], and I even voted for my first time last night.

All in the midst of the constancy of my regularly scheduled life.

Every time I'm on campus I have butterflies. It's nerve-wracking but also a sort of addicting reaction. I can't stay away.

Voting was sort of a let-down. They didn't even need my fresh off the press voters card OR identification of any sort - tell me is this legal? It was just a small election, and I attended the information night, read up on the facts and was ready to vote. I took Miss J with me and the milestone was unfortunately anything but monumental. No butterflies per say. It will be interesting to see the results of the election, since everyone else voting with me had to be at least twice my age and probably had no clue about the education policies that were being voted upon, or else no longer care about elementary schools.

I'm excited for this new adventure of going back to school, but also scared to death. While it goes against any motivational thought and quote, I would much rather not try than try and fail. But I'm going to try and I hope I'll succeed... because I am tired of just having a bunch of credits under my belt. It's about time I earn a degree. In the fall I'll be taking math and physics - so help me! I'm going to need boosts now and again, I'm most likely going to cry now and again, and I really am going to need a huge support system cheering me on, never once questioning that I can make it. So if you think I can't do it, don't tell me, and don't even talk to me about my schooling. I don't need any other doubts than my own.

7 comments:

MOM said...

Oh my, you are BRAVE to tackle both math & physics in the same semester! These must be required courses--would anyone choose these as options, other then maybe Mr Man?? You are very smart and with the Lord's help all things are possible.
Finally you could vote, sorry to hear it was not what you expected. So good to take Miss J and show her the democratic process.

Camie said...

I KNOW you will succeed! No question about it. You love learning and that will take you very far as you continue your 'book learning'. You have a lot of 'real life learning' and experience on your side--you will be great!

The Wilsons said...

Who could even begin to doubt your success?!? Of course you'll succeed!!!

Shawny said...

Best tip I ever learned, get to know your professors or rather, let them get to know you. You'll be great!

Anne Marie said...

You go girl! I am so proud of you...going back to school and tackling math and physics. My friend who has gone back to school years later says that it's amazing how much more focus she has as a thirty-something compared to herself as a nineteen-year-old. She has so much more drive, and I know that you will be the same. You look beautiful, by the way. Best of luck to you!

Amy said...

Since when was there something that you couldn't do? You will have trouble from time to time and that is what will make your success and your degree all the sweeter to have.

Laura said...

Good for you! I'm a little jealous. I love school. I'm sure physics will be hard--but fascinating! I hope you get a good professor; that makes all the difference. This is when you need to use your "connections" to find out who is the best! ;-)

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...