Thursday, July 16, 2009

Kids Clothing Inventory

In my early life as a mother when I had zero respect of my own sense of mothering and read every parenting book I could get my hands on, I actually learned a few valuable tips. One was to have a child's clothing inventory. I used to have a little black book... and have in more recent years turned to a simple excel sheet. Using a list has proved priceless, and has, I'm sure saved me time and money. I don't have to sort through bins and bins of clothes, I just check my list. When something gets worn out, I check it off my list. When we have a stack of "needs" I print off my list and go shopping for EXACTLY what we need, instead of acquiring an obscene amount of pants but no tops. I love this little list, and wanted to share how I keep track of my kids' clothing needs. I also love that now after the baby outgrows something, I can just pass it on to my sister or get rid of it by some other means and no longer have stacks and stacks of baby clothes. I'm getting old.
At the park today, a little boy came up to me and said, "Hi. I'm Joshua and I'm four." He was so sweet, my response came right out, "Hi I'm (you all know my name) and I'm 28!" He looked up at me more perceptively and said, "WOW! You're old."

I just hope I get older AND wiser. Let me know if you have any questions about how my "list" works.

7 comments:

Shawny said...

A clothing inventory is a super smart move. My only regret is that I didn't start one earlier. I WAY over bought on girl 2T. It's funny how you can quickly put something away and forget you ever purchased it.

Jeff and Kylie said...

You know you're crazy right? (I still love you though) :)

Scott and Tisha said...

What a great idea- and a money saver. Leave it to my organized older sister to come up with such a great idea!!! Luv ya!

Hoosier Mama said...

ingenious!

singin'mama said...

This is impressive! I still say you should have a blog just dedicated to home and personal organization. You have a gift!

Scott and Tisha said...

I started my list today!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Your inventory is just what I'm looking for to help me organize my back-to-school planning. Thanks!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...