Friday, December 05, 2008

Partners

Our family has a soft spot for ambulances, ever since my brother’s life was so carefully and quickly cared for within one. Just moments ago, while driving, we pulled over so that one could race through a red light. The boys also offered a quick prayer for the person whose life must be in jeopardy, as I too offered a prayer in my heart. Immediately afterwards the following conversation ensued:

Mr. T: “That’s what I want to be when I grow up.”
Me (touched): “An ambulance driver? That’s really special.”
Mr. T: “No. A police officer. I want to race through red lights, have my lights flashing, and you know what the best part is?”
Me: “What?”
Mr. T: “You get to carry a real gun.”
Little E: “Yeah. After I’m a Jedi Knight, I’m going to be a police officer too.”
Mr. T: “You’re going to have to be careful with your gun. You can only use it if there are bad guys that are going to kill someone good.”
Little E: “Yeah. But sometimes little kids are bad and you have to shoot them too.”
Mr. T: “I think you better stick with me and we’ll be partners. We can work together and drive in our police car.”
Little E: “I want to drive.”
Mr. T: “Well, you can’t. I’m older.”
Little E: “You’ll always be older than me. But someday I’ll be bigger. I’ll be bigger than you and then I’ll make you let me drive.”
Mr. T: “Don’t you want to be a cowboy? Cowboys are cool. They get to carry a gun and a whip – just like Indiana Jones.”

I love the older brother manipulation here! Also, it was only the other night that Mr. Man stated that he hoped none of our kids would ever be police officers. Sorry Mr. Man. Although, you may end up with a cowboy too.

7 comments:

Debbi said...

cowboys AND cops. Those indians are in for it! BAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously, though, let's convince them in the Ambulance persuasion!! Although, cops and cowboys are BOTH hot in their 'outfits'!! ;)

(and, just to clarify for people on your blog who don't know me, no, I'm not hitting on the little kids!!! I'm just saying!)

Lori said...

LOL!

Laura said...

I think they'd make great partners--although, yes--hopefully as EMTs!

Mamabug said...

That was a funny conversation. Got to love it.

singin'mama said...

Oh my goodness! Aren't they so funny? We definitley have the older child manipulation going on over here too. I love how you remember every detail! I can't begin to do that. I hope you don't think I'm a total loser friend for calling the other night. Did Mr. T get Adam's email? He was asking about it.

Anonymous said...

How sweet and funny!

Brooke said...

Ahh! they are sooo cute!! I love it!!!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...