Thursday, March 22, 2012

Baby-itis

My sister is having a baby any day now.

I'm totally jealous.

I love giving birth. I love having a baby.

I wish I could do it over and over and over...

However, after I had my first baby I learned the lesson that you aren't just having a baby, you are having a child. And I know that, for our family, four children is all we can do. And really, I'm so happy with that.

But it doesn't mean I don't get sad when my friend has her first baby and I can only attempt to recall what it's like to have just one little firstborn and go for stroller walks. I did it. But I wish I could do it again. I miss it.

Memories, baby books, journals and blog posts remind me of the moments I dreaded, the times I cried and the joy I found in the journey.

I've become that older mom who begs to hold young mom's babies. Some of these young mom's are indulging me, others are desperately pleading. Their time will come.

I think I may have rushed my baby-making years.

6 comments:

Memories On The Go said...

You do a wonderful job, putting into words,such tender feelings. As all my 'babies' have now become adults and have or had babies of their own, I'm go grateful to be a Grandma and once again hold a newborn. This is also in your future :)

Steve and Donna said...

being a G.ma brings it back again and it's so much more fun and relaxed ;)

Camie said...

I feel the same way, and I'm pregnant with what I'm thinking will probably be my last baby. I'm already starting to mourn the end of my baby years--I will definitely be spoiling this one to death! I totally agree with your thoughts on babies though--if only we could just have babies w/o being pregnant and without them turning into crazy older kids!!

Anne Marie said...

Oh, friend, it is so hard to say goodbye to those years. You will be a blessing to so many new moms with your love and perspective.

Brooke said...

Shoot! I totally agree, but I am still trying to help myself see that they DO turn into children! That I can't just have 100 little darlings like I would like to because they want you to keep going after they turn 4 and 5 and so on. ;) Yep, I'm in that boat too.

Laura said...

I want to steal the newborns, but then I would want to return them at bedtime! I've grown too accustomed to NOT getting up all night for feedings! I do tell my friend having their first to really, really enjoy it. That is a magical time.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...